Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Slip Rolls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Rolls

Wing rotisserie revision number two. Was going to make the circle or hoop out of 3/4 EMT conduit.. to flimsy. Using the excess one inch square tubing from the shipping crate for the wings. Does anyone have a slip roll for square tubing... Iíd like a picture please. Iím trying to figure out the spacing between the dies Iíve made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slip Rolls

Hi,

Doesn't the minor radius of your wheels placed on the diameter of the circle you want to create determine their spacings? Maybe too close together and the tube is too hard to bend or.....?

I'm always interested in your purpose built projects.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-08-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

Doesn't the minor radius of your wheels placed on the diameter of the circle you want to create determine their spacings? Maybe too close together and the tube is too hard to bend or.....?

I'm always interested in your purpose built projects.
    Thatís what Iím wondering. To close together will require more energy or force to stretch the the steel on the outside diameter. To far apart and Iím dealing with spring back and an uneven radius if the wall thickness of the square tube varies. Went with bronze bushing material to act as bearings.. should withstand considerable pressure...once the square tube is rolled into a large circle/s...the dies will be used on the wing rotisserie....just have to make one more die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html It has round rollers but I would bet the spacing will work for your square rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

PERFECT! Thatís what I needed...thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hereís my version of a slip roll for 1Ē square tubing. Tested it on a 4 foot chunk of tubing. Not impressed with it. I kind of knew I needed to drive all three dies together. Damn thing slips turning just the upper die. Clean dry steel works a little better..using 1Ē wide emery cloth between the upper die and the steel works okay. Thought about knurling the die...but itís made from 1018 cold roll steel and is to soft...knurling would be squished or dulled quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Make the diameter of your rolls that the workpiece touches larger. I think what's happening is the diameter is so small it's not really trying to turn the rolls therefore causing them to "drag" and make the drive roll slip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html It has round rollers but I would bet the spacing will work for your square rollers.
    I have one of these like Steve has and for additional tooling options Swag Off Road had many different enhancements for this Harbor Freight roller...…….. and quite a few other products. Makes HF stuff work better! Rolled my slat tracks perfect...….

https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tubing-Roller-Dies-Accessories_c_54.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Make the diameter of your rolls that the workpiece touches larger. I think what's happening is the diameter is so small it's not really trying to turn the rolls therefore causing them to "drag" and make the drive roll slip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Probably to small...Kent White recommended a convex shape in the upper die so that it deforms the I.D. of the arc. Will see if I can find a larger chunk of steel to make a larger upper die...will order roller bearings for the lower dies