Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best route to go West from Denver, Colorado

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best route to go West from Denver, Colorado

I am planning my route to fly from Winchester, VA (KOKV) first to Richfield, Utah (KRIF) to fly the canyons for a couple of days and then on to the Dead Cow Lakebed in Nevada for the High Sierra fly in. My most direct route from OKV to RIF would take me right over Denver, but then there is a big wall with minimum sector altitudes of 14K to 14.5K feet. I am not oxygen equipped, so I can't fly that high. I altered my route to fly further North over the Cheyenne VOR.

Does anyone know a pass through the mountains from Denver going straight West. Weather permitting (VFR and low winds) I would prefer that route since it might be more scenic going through the mountains. Any advise from you local Denver Short Wingers (or if you have done this trip before) is appreciated.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best route to go West from Denver, Colorado

Post Thanks / Like

the lowest route I am aware of and use on most of my trips east and back home is south of pueblo, laveta pass.
    The pass is almost due east of ALS (Alamosa CO). At that point you'll fly over a pretty flat valley. My basic course after
    Laveta Pass is towards a private airport called Eastside or Chama another close airport in same area. The hills east of those
    airports have a railroad track you can take through the area but you can cross that area pretty well above 10.5. After Chama
    you will be able to go lower heading west.

I use another routes from CYS (cheyenne) to SAA or RKS with some zig zagging to stay below 10 or 11K. You can alway PM me if you have questions. Others have used the northern route and might have some alternate paths. I normally cross at
    the Levita pass route as it is the shortest route for me heading for iowa or ohio.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Juergen,

When I flew 31D from Monterey, Ca to Stafford, VA, I thought about taking a route very similar to what you are discussing. Due to my lack of experience in 31D I went south through Arizona, Texas and up through FL. I really wished that I had gone through the lower portion of Colorado and across from there. I love seeing that you are venturing out to High Sierra this year. Having flown out there in a helicopter once or twice and driven across country a few times, If I had flown, I would have take the southern route through Colorado. Hope you enjoy the flying and be safe out there!

Greg
    Last edited by grbamford; 09-12-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot and great info. That is the great benefit of this forum. There is always someone who "has done that and has been there". You just have to ask.

I hope I will see some Short Wings at the High Sierra Fly in,

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Juergen,

This is a great place. I enjoy seeing what the next adventure is that someone is planning. Quick question, how do you plan on getting around NAS Fallon's restricted airspaces?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Juergen,

This is a great place. I enjoy seeing what the next adventure is that someone is planning. Quick question, how do you plan on getting around NAS Fallon's restricted airspaces?

Greg
    I know, there are so many MOAs and restricted airspaces between Richfield and Dead Cow. The route I picked: KRIF-WOOOP-MVA-YERIN-N58-DEAD COW LAKEBED. A total of 417 NM with a fuel stop at N58. From there I can fill up the main tanks and one of the aux tanks so I have full fuel in the mains for flying excursions out of Dead Cow.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer the lower southern route heading towards Santa Fe. Last time left here and landed Hereford Texas, crossed the mountains just south of Angel Fire at Taos and fueled at Aztec and made it to Mineral Canyon and then on to camp at Mexican Mountain. That was a Super Cub, Carbon Cub and Pacer. Very scenic flight. If you make it this way I have a hanger for your airplane and an apartment to overnight in. I am planning a trip out that way sometime in October.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I prefer the lower southern route heading towards Santa Fe. Last time left here and landed Hereford Texas, crossed the mountains just south of Angel Fire at Taos and fueled at Aztec and made it to Mineral Canyon and then on to camp at Mexican Mountain. That was a Super Cub, Carbon Cub and Pacer. Very scenic flight. If you make it this way I have a hanger for your airplane and an apartment to overnight in. I am planning a trip out that way sometime in October.
    Steve, I'm not planning on coming that far South this year, but thanks for your offer. Next year however is a different story. My nephew (a glider instructor in Germany) will visit us and I will take him on a "Fly the wild West" flying adventure. I may take you up on your offer then.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Where exactly is Dead Cow?