Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best route to go West from Denver, Colorado

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best route to go West from Denver, Colorado

The Dead Cow Lakebed is where the High Sierra fly-in takes place every year. It is at 40.12°N/119.92°W, about 10 NM West of Pyramid Lake (in Nevada) or 24 NM North of Reno/Stead (KRTS). This year the event is from October 17th through Sunday morning the 20th.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another link to a great article about crossing the Colorado Rockies: https://backcountrypilot.org/knowled...inental-divide . The article describes all the different routes and each route has a "ForeFlight" button. If you have ForeFlight on the device you are reading the article at, then after clicking the button, ForeFlight opens up with the route loaded for you. Great tool.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Contact the Colorado Department of Aeronautics. They will send you a Colorado Sectional that depicts the pass routes and the AWOS station that transmit the pass weather.

https://www.codot.gov/programs/aeronautics

I followed the road from the Cimarron VOR (C12) to Eagles Nest, South down the valley to Angel Fire (AXX) and followed the highway pass, Palo Flechado to Taos (SKS). I was able to stay below 10,000 feet.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 09-24-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen,

Can't offer any help in regard to the mountain flying, but if you have the opportunity to share your travels on this forum, I think a lot of us could benefit from hearing your story/report.

Safe travels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Juergen,

Can't offer any help in regard to the mountain flying, but if you have the opportunity to share your travels on this forum, I think a lot of us could benefit from hearing your story/report.

Safe travels.
    This forum has been a great help planning for my trip. There is so much knowledge here. It's the first time in the 20 years I own my Pacer to cross the mighty Mississippi in it.
    I plotted two possible routes with the help of some of our members. I will decide which one to take when I get there. It all depends on the clouds and wind. I will document my trip on my U-Tube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQ...ihpE0zmvmbUGgg or just search for Pacer42Z on U-Tube.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I will document my trip on my U-Tube channel
    Looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

If you get near Las Vegas NM and need to stay they are very friendly. I got weathered in for a few days and the charged me 5 bucks a night for a hanger