Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffler AD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muffler AD

As I approach 50 hours since my last annual I dug through the logs today (as I remembered a new muffler was installed.)

Sure enough a new muffler was installed 130 hours ago and 8 years but EVERY annual since the install it’s listed as complied with per inspection (or something to that effect.)

Why would every annual have the AD inspection completed (as opposed to not required.) Did 5 or 6 IAs (including the installer the next year) miss that it was a new muffler? Or does it still need to be inspected every 50 hours?

Confused.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Muffler AD

Just a guess but was it actually a brand new muffler or was it "Repaired" where they used a small piece of the old one and basically rebuilt it from scratch? We had ours "repaired" by Dawley and while it is new in my mind, technically it was simply repaired per the FAA. As a repair it's still subject to the inspection AD. However, I'm sure it will last another 1,000 hours.

Kind of like somebody buying an old house and "rennovating" it by leaving one wall of the old house because it is easier to get a renovation permit than get one to build a house from scratch. Then of course they rennovate it again in a few weeks to replace the remaining original wall. Poof, built brand new home without all of the paperwork.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would question if they actually complied with the AD at each annual. If you read the AD it requires seeing inside the muffler on both sides. The right side can be viewed through the tail pipe but the left side requires removing the exhaust pipe on that side. Although can of the muffler can be inspected on the outside for cracks by inspection and by opening up the heat muff the real problem is the the warping of the flame tubes, they crack and break off and stop up the tail pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

More research shows that the worksheet that accompanies the logbook also shows “complied with (AD) with the installation of a new muffler. And then to add to my confusion it then says, next inspection due at (100 hours hence.) Same IA for the next 4 annuals and each one references ad 65-10-01 (from memory, not sure if that’s exact,) as previously complied with with installation of new muffler. Due at (100) hours.

I guess my IA will figure it out in November but I need to check with him to make sure I don’t overfly the 50 hours as I’m just a few away and getting into my (busier) flying season here in So Cal.

Post Thanks / Like

Where can one get their muffler repaired/welded?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

AWI is one place. I have always used Dawley but the sold out, owner retired.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall right, Dawley was producing the exhaust for Sutton.
    Anyone know if AWI took that over ?
    Just curious.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    If I recall right, Dawley was producing the exhaust for Sutton.
    Anyone know if AWI took that over ?
    Just curious.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AWI builds them for Brian. Seem to be doing a great job.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my A&P said a school chum of his used to work for Dawley... and now works for AWI.