Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draco down

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Draco down

Mike Patey the owner/pilot just posted his own video on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs .

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky, no one was hurt!

But, Draco looks totaled
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Lucky, no one was hurt!

But, Draco looks totaled
    Yep But you have to hand it to Mike for putting all the blame on himself and getting out a video about it. That right there stopped all of the Monday Morning Should Haves. Son and Grandson know the Brothers and both are upstanding Guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad all three of them got out without injury. Could have been much worse. The video will definitely dampen any speculations about the crash. I wonder what the FAA will have to say about it. I wish him good luck.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the FAA will give him much trouble, I wouldnt, but than again I made a bad decision almost exactly like the situation he was in, extremely strong xwind and I wanted to get home, lost control on takeoff roll just a couple seconds after advancing throttle to full power, the upwind wing lifted up by a gust, I chopped the power next thing she weathervaned directly into the wind about 70 degree heading change and it was gusting 40 mph , I was lifted into the air and i was just along for the ride at that point. Luckily I was blown into wet grass and didnt damage my plane. I learned that I should stop and step back and think things over sometimes. Things happen, I dont believe in god but a man that does told me that making mistakes are what makes us human, only god is perfect... kind of made sense.
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-17-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Belief in God is a choice. Glad you're still here. I made seven T-offs and landings the other day at KTIX while hurricane was passing bye to the east. Lots of gusts. I didn't have to wake up the controller but he sounded a bit off - I'll say it wasn't busy at all on takeoff or approach at our towered airport a couple days ago. Why was I the only plane out that day? As I came in L-base over trees approach to Rwy 9 with winds at 60 deg@15kts gusting to 25 the ability of the shortwing to spill air and get down when a 20 knot over gust hits you is nice. It didn't get better as I practiced. Seven was enough. Love the shortwing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Was impressed with Mike's video. He owned it. Bet $100 if it had been an uncontrolled field he would have taken off across the runway without issue. I feel his pain on losing what he has put so much blood sweat and tears into. Facebook is full of sarcastic, callous comments this morning with lots of arm chair quarter backing. In my opinion he owned and is suffering the consequences. Hope nobody is around a phone when they screw up.

I really enjoy Mike's build videos. They are informative, entertaining and inspiring. I would love to have his energy.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is been there done that, almost exactly. It ain't easy to get over. I was right seat but we were both along for the ride.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I worship statistical Probability and regardless of the devotion and sacrifices I have provided her she can still be a bitch.

There is a line from that movie twelve o'clock high: "...I believe a man makes his own luck..." and must admit most of the " bad luck" that has come my way could be prevented by better decision making.

I won my power line certificate after making a few excellent rough running engine decisions: climbed while she was till making power, lined up on road safely between two cars with altitude to spare, but altho I had been scanning for the damn wires I forgot, the moment I said to my self " I've got is made" there they were...

Hubris? Perhaps. Our ego seems most often our main distraction.

I have respect for those who lead the way, I have great respect for those who show humility, are they not the most brave? The Wright Brothers were said to quit humble and self effacing at each failure and success.

A hat tip to Mike for taking a dream so far and for having the guts to own his own mistakes.

Rocket