Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Tie downs in dry lake bed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tie downs in dry lake bed

I will be attending the High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada the middle of October. I have never used tie downs in a dry lake bed. I have the corkscrew type tie downs which work well anywhere I have been camping at the East Coast or Oshkosh (always on gras).

Will I be able to get these tie downs into the ground? How hard is a dry lake bed?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tie downs in dry lake bed

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I will be attending the High Sierra Fly-in at the Dead Cow lake bed in Nevada the middle of October. I have never used tie downs in a dry lake bed. I have the corkscrew type tie downs which work well anywhere I have been camping at the East Coast or Oshkosh (always on gras).

Will I be able to get these tie downs into the ground? How hard is a dry lake bed?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I've done a bit of flying on dry lake beds and I can't imagine a screw type anchor working. I would use something you can drive into the ground.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never flown my plane to HSF but I did drive in last year. People recommend using "The Claw"

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/th...=c&matchtype=e

I think you could also carry empty sandbags and fill them on site and use weight to hold the plane down

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what we are going to try on the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon:

Buy three of these:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buy a box of these (you will need twelve per plane, so talk to your friends about splitting the big box...):
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rit...GSPK/100176170

Run your wing 10' long nylon strap tiedowns forward and outward about 6~8' from wing rings (45 degrees fwd of chord) and tail tiedown about 4~6' back from tail.
    Drive the spikes outward as much as possible thru holes in the anchor ring plates.
    YMMV.

Have fun!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I bought these http://www.flyties.com

Post Thanks / Like

I survived the hurricane at SnF and the wind storm at Spear Fish SD. that put airplanes near me on their back. I was using FlyTies.
    Lakeland FL., SnF, has very sandy soil.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 09-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No dog in this fight but I just happened across this video. He doesn't seem to be a fan of any of them.

https://youtu.be/Loq1olceSIE

Here's another product. Good luck getting this sucker in the ground but it sure seems to hold.

https://youtu.be/eW7vG7Qwmnc
    Last edited by smcnutt; 09-19-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was trying to get my Claws in on Nokai Dome in Utah and would always get to where one or two would hit a rock. Finally moved to new location. There was a thunderstorm coming around the mountains and the winds were getting strong. I tied down tailed into the wind with the flaps down and stacked the biggest rocks I could move around my tires. If I was at Dead Cow during a wind event I would dig holes for the wheels and push them into the holes. I have seen pictures of Stearmans at NAS Millington landing field secured this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I was trying to get my Claws in on Nokai Dome in Utah and would always get to where one or two would hit a rock. Finally moved to new location. There was a thunderstorm coming around the mountains and the winds were getting strong. I tied down tailed into the wind with the flaps down and stacked the biggest rocks I could move around my tires. If I was at Dead Cow during a wind event I would dig holes for the wheels and push them into the holes. I have seen pictures of Stearmans at NAS Millington landing field secured this way.
    Geez. Great input, Steve. I bought latest and greatest version of FlyTies after all this info. But if things are going south fast, and you can't drive a spike in the ground...move around and dig some holes - pack some rocks. Yes I have a nice military camping shovel. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a Picture of the tie downs I used at Dead Cow lake bed last week. Worked well, but next time I will look for longer nails. Mine were only about 12" long.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images