Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Taller instrument panel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taller instrument panel

Hi all I'm looking for the taller instrument panel. I have found the shorter one on cub dr. but would like to chage it out for the taller one when I rewire the panel. Any thoughts? This is the panel design I'm going for.

Thankstapatalk_1570544292644.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Taller instrument panel

Is this your panel? You could use the existing frame and make a new face and rivet it to the existing frame. I do not know a source for a new tall panel. With modern instruments and radios most people are switching to the short panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Not my panel I was hoping to move to that style

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The humped panel was made that way to hold the old, larger AN gyros. If you draw a line across the top and eliminate the hump you will see it is not needed for the instruments and the only reason it is needed for the radios is there is a large 170B com taking up a lot of room. I would rather have the straight across panel and not have to deal with the problem of the glare shield. I think you can get everything in the panel without it with modern 3 1/8" instruments.

Post Thanks / Like

You might look at Cub Doctor panels, I think he makes one that is tall without the hump, ie might be as high as the Piper Hump panel but that high all the way across.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    Hi all I'm looking for the taller instrument panel. I have found the shorter one on cub dr. but would like to chage it out for the taller one when I rewire the panel. Any thoughts? This is the panel design I'm going for.
    Did you ever find the answer you were looking for? I am updating the panel in my 1954 PA-22 with a short panel and have not found any information about conversion to a tall panel. Might not be possible with the glare shield being connected to the cowl...Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clyde Smith sells the tall panel minus the hump that was needed with the original large AN gyros. https://www.cubdoctor.com/instrument-panels/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post

Thankstapatalk_1570544292644.jpeg

Really nice panel! I’ve always liked the “hump” in the 3 shortwings I’ve owned. The Walter Mitty in me enjoys the bit of military flavor of that panel. I also like that I have to S turn with my taxis because of the bushwheels and that panel. Adds alot to the fun!