Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!! Need a tailwheel instructor in or around Kansas City, MO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!! Need a tailwheel instructor in or around Kansas City, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    SJ and I argue about this but I see no reason to wheel land a Pacer. When you 3 point it it is done flying and that is it. You wheel land it and you still have to transition to the 3 point. I wheel land my Super Cub all the time so I can see, to protect the tail in rough stuff and it is slow. The Clipper and Pacer 3 point so nice and honestly I have problems wheel landing them.
    Thanks for the insight! I feel comfortable 3 pointing the Pacer, when I tried to wheel land it, it bounced and was squirley. I know I just need more time in it as SJ did a fantastic wheel landing in it. But, it makes me feel better that if it's not something that I can get or feel comfortable with, that the three point landing is really the way to go in these things. I just love how slow it gets in the 3 point attitude when done right, which I felt prevented it from getting squirley on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I have probably 2500+ landings in my Clipper, 99% of those are three point. I have never tried to to wheel land it in challengingly conditions.
    On the other hand I only wheel landed my KitFox in challenging conditions and three pointed it in dead calm air.
    Different airplanes, different characteristics require different techniques. One technique does not fit all.

I see no advantage to wheel landings in a Shortwing taildragger.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the wheel landings for the forward visibility. And unlike Gilbert I prefer the wheel landings for challenging situations (strong/gusty winds, rough terrain, need to turn during rollout) having the tail up gives decent rudder authority and keeps the tailwheel out of the rocks. Also three pointers has me craning my neck to see forward and the 31's wheel hop terrible if you drop it on the least bit.
    BUT, as you will find everyone has their preferred method and their reasons for it. Do learn to be proficient at both and use whatever your happiest with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bushwheels add a whole new dynamic to the equation. I wheel landed my Pacer on Bushwheels for the reasons Jason posted above. Small tires on a Clipper or Pacer the three point works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Bushwheels add a whole new dynamic to the equation. I wheel landed my Pacer on Bushwheels for the reasons Jason posted above. Small tires on a Clipper or Pacer the three point works great.
    Forgot about that part, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

For the 20 years I have owned my Pacer I have done mostly wheel landings. It really depends what you are comfortable with and what the mission is. I fly the Pacer either with 6.00x6 or 22" Desser tires. I like wheel landings because I can see over the nose better. Only time when I always do three points are when the runway is less than 1,000 feet and I drag the Pacer in and have to come to a really quick stop.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

There is no difference between wheel landings and 3-point landings. When you flare you set the attitude you want to touch down in and let it settle in. If you are too fast in either, you bounce. The required speed difference is negligible. It’s the 2-3 mph difference between having the tail on the ground or having it flying. If you doubt me then do a few trips down the runway raising and lowering the tail to see what the speed difference is. Wheel landings can be done at higher speeds which is what I like for better control authority in crosswinds. I think it takes more skill to 3-point in challenging conditions. If you want consistently smooth landings use the throttle to control decent rate. It takes practice to be proficient and everyone botches a landing now and then. Oh yeah... NEVER look at the runway while you are in the flare. If you look at the runway, you will start feeling for it and cause a bounce.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 10-26-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    NEVER look at the runway while you are in the flare. If you look at the runway, you will start feeling for it and cause a bounce.
    How true. I have to keep reminding myself not to do that.