Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “sport aircraft seats”?

Post Thanks / Like

Default “sport aircraft seats”?

Has anyone installed these?
    They look great but are a bit pricey.
    http://sportaircraftseats.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: “sport aircraft seats”?

No mention is made as to legality other than the burn test. If the seats are different than the original they need to be a Repair Station.
    Oregon Aero did mine significantly improving them from the originals. Pricey but well worth it.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oregon Aero did mine significantly improving them from the originals. Pricey but well worth it.
    Not to hijack, but how were they to work with on the short wing? Thinking of going this route when we do our interior, and hoping for improved comfort if possible. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The sport aviation seat is nothing more than a slip on cover. There not changing the frame at all. So how is changing the seating cover a major alteration? Also I couldn’t find the price of Oregon Aero. An it seems that they paint the frame and put a cover on it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Oregon Aero completely rebuilt my seats basically eliminating the springs and using a space age material on the seat bottom. They built individual seat bottoms and backs with memory foam The cushions are Velcro’d in so they are easily removable. Makes removing and re-installing the seats much easier. They got the bottom cushions too high. They had Fedex pick up the seats, rebuilt them to my satisfaction and retuned them all on their nickel and no argument.
    No more aching sciatic nerve pain after an hour or two hours or three hours in the seat.
    They inspected and painted the frames. No repairs were necessary as I had recently reworked the frames to provide extra leg room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just spoke with them today. They don't have a PA20 or 22 design up on the website yet because they haven't designed the back seat. Coming soon I was told. But they did say the price for fronts would be the same as the 170 seats leather being more of course. Sounds like a good company.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking seat and an easy looking installation process. Got to be much less expensive than Oregon Aero. Hope they are at Sun n Fun so I can sit in one.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-28-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was quoted $810 per seat. Front only. But they sure do look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oregon Aero got into an issue with the FAA. They have to recieve your old seat cushions, they don't have approval to manufacture seat cushions. Makes it a pain sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been redoing my seats myself... just because my day job is combustion science, I did a flame test on a strip of old foam.... it basically burned like a candle wick soaked in gasoline. My only conclusion is the original foam is some form of nitro-cellulose... (a major component of tactical rocket propellant). Replacing this stuff with anything would be an improvement in safety. In searching the topic it seems that if(?) I were to replace with the same type of foam there’d be no paperwork involved... but if I replace it with something better then I have to prove it’s flame resistant....

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...ircraft.11576/

Someone mentioned an old friend of mine from my car racing days....
    https://www.avweb.com/ownership/inte...t-91-aircraft/
    Last edited by Tailwind_Fan; 10-29-2019 at 10:18 PM.