Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

I haven’t even bought a Pacer yet and I’m already evaluating mods!!

i did a few searches here and haven’t found what I was looking for but if it has already been discussed please point me in that direction.

can I get an idea of the cost to fabricate and install the Stewart wingtip extensions? I know the paperwork cost but the rest is unknown to me.

also, I am struggling to find quantitative data on the performance changes with these tips; does anyone here have that info? For those installs that kept the stock aileron, I know the roll rate is reduced but is it possible to effectively run out of aieleron with this mod?

thx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Bumping this back to the top. I too am looking into these and am ready to pull the trigger on tips. It would be really handy if Stewarts would put out a list of items needed prior to one purchasing the paper only STC.

The 90° temps last hitch in AK have me looking for ways to get a bit better out of the new to me 57 Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you get quantitative data on a wingtip mod without very expensive testing with proper instrumentation and evaluation methods? And just who is going to do that for a series of airplanes supported only by a relatively small “cult” following that do much of our work ourselves just to be able to afford to fly them? There may be someone out there that has done it for kicks, and I would also love to see the results, but the best you are probably going to get is before install and after install observations that are necessarily subjective. That said, I am flying a 1956 PA22-20 with a fresh 160 HP. engine, VG’s , Stewart tips, 29” bushwheels, baby bushwheel tailwheel, and a Borer prop. Handling of a PA22-20 is not as agile as the original PA20 I flew for 980 hours all over the US, but I see no degradation of roll with the Stewart Tips, and I believe I can pretty much go most places along side a standard Supercub in “normal” conditions. Hot and high, and and the stock 150 Supercub would probably kick my butt! I am cruising around 100-105 with the big tires and tail wheel, and am very much impressed with the performance of the airplane. I believe it is an unbeatable compromise of cost, utility and performance. Plus, I loved seeing the face of my flight review instructor, who had never flown in a Pacer, when I pulled it up in an approach to landing stall, and it would only mush in a standard decent. He was astonished when I then started doing gentle turns in the fully stalled condition, with just a touch of power. I could do the mushed stall with the fully stock Pacer 125, but it wouldn’t do turns, as it would shudder and fall off, but once straightened with the rudder, would go right back to the mush descent. Go fly Pacers with and without the Stewart tips, and make your own decision. However, there have been some pretty good stories like mine on here about comparing the different available tip configurations.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I think the Stewart tips is the way I want to go, was more looking for a list of the items needed. Can you give a ballpark cost on the cost all up for the Stewart tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think the Stewart tips is the way I want to go, was more looking for a list of the items needed. Can you give a ballpark cost on the cost all up for the Stewart tips?
    No, because mine had them installed when I bought it. Someone on here I am sure has done the job and are a lot more qualified to answer that question than I. I need to buy the plans as I am going to put them on an Experimental project. Yeah, I know, I don’t need the paperwork for an Experimental, but believe I should pay for what I use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Sullivan tips seem like the best ones available for STOL ops. (most additional wing area) I have the Plane Booster wing extension STC and tips currently owned by CubCrafters but have been considering purchasing the Sullivan tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    The Sullivan tips seem like the best ones available for STOL ops. (most additional wing area) I have the Plane Booster wing extension STC and tips currently owned by CubCrafters but have been considering purchasing the Sullivan tips.
    How much do they impact takeoff distance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think if you contact Stewarts they can get you a parts list. From memory you need pieces of front and rear spar, 2 or 4 ribs and a piece of conduit along with fabric supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I think if you contact Stewarts they can get you a parts list. From memory you need pieces of front and rear spar, 2 or 4 ribs and a piece of conduit along with fabric supplies.
    That's about right, plus some aluminum sheet for the trailing edge of the aileron & extended wing section, and another piece for the leading edge of the extended section, then there is the need to make up the position light mount. When I got the one for the project plane it was still as a complete "kit" though it seems that is no longer the way it's sold.

Doc

Post Thanks / Like

There are a variety of choices of wing tip STC'S on the market. Sullivan, Stewart, X Winds are what I remember off the top of my head. The old Demmer and Ferguson are no longer available. All these tips improve performance, by increasing lift. All of them will also decrease roll rate to some degree. Measuring exact performance changes is difficult. Every plane is different. Stewart tips will have a bit less increased wing surface area than other tips but, likely have less decrease in roll rate. They are a good compromise choice. X Winds are metal and have a fence at the offer edge. They should have a good increase in lift but, the fence should increase adverse yaw. I found the Sullivan tips a significant lift improvement over the Demmer tips as well as decreased adverse yaw. Most manufacturers will not post numbers because of the unknown variables.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."