Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mystery mart number -

Post Thanks / Like

Default mystery mart number -

Sorry--- that should be "mystery part number"

Cant seem to find a part number matching this part-----Looked in the parts manual and the piper CD---
    I can find several places where it is showing in the pictures but there seems to be no matching part number.

I am replacing the bottom longeron tubes where they terminate at the tail post. I ordered the tailwheel bracket new from univair (piper tailspring fitting L1027-02 rev M) which looks correct. I also attempted to
    order the piece which welds under the 3 sided square channel that the tailbrace wires connect to. (and the front spring bolt goes through this 3 sided channel as well) Its about 5 or 6 inches long and 1 inch wide and 1/8 thick. I described it to the Univair person over the phone--- that it was prob. 6 inches long--- but what showed up was about 1 inch long. Its the little short plate that goes into the cable end--- NOT the correct part. ( they sent U10075-004).

I can see it in the diagrams but cant see any number associated with it------ and I don't know exactly what piper calls it either----

Any one happen to know the part number for it ? ( I could just make it easily enough--- but I wanted to
    see if it was available before I made one---- )

Thanks for any help--- also if anyone knows why I cant find the part number --- that would prob. help too

Tim
    Last edited by violinmaker; 10-29-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mystery mart number -

I have a pic of the old one as I was cutting the longeron tubes out---- this is the channel that the front spring bolt goes through...… this 6 inch long plate welds to the bottom of the 3 sided box--- the plate has a small hole in each outboard end that the lower stab flying wires hook to. It is not on the parts manual. Univair sent me the small angled tab that bolts to the stab that the other end of the flying wire hooks to. coredrill1.jpgIt sticks out from the bottom longerons about an inch on either side. It was heavily rust pitted - prob from mud laying on top of it long ago. The longeron tube has an outside-in hole there too. Other side tube was heavily pitted in the same spot in that little vertex. All of you that have
    replaced lower longerons may have replaced this part. Its a simple all most flat piece--- do you just fab it ?
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I had to fab mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the fittings the tail brace wires attach to? Drawing 14610 figure 7 part number 11532. As others have said, just fabricate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And while you’re at it...install/weld in a bushing for the front tail spring bolt....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    And while you’re at it...install/weld in a bushing for the front tail spring bolt....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    If you don’t you’ll wish you had and be sure to grind the weld at the busing top surface flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The later Super Cub tailbrace wire fitting is available from Univair and is the same as the Pacer and Tri-Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes-- I found a mystery printout I had that shows a part number of 11532---- but I never did find it in the pa-22 disk----I must have found it on the web or someone sent it to me--- got so many I cant remember----
    I will go back and see if it has a drawing 14610. Univair said they had them for their internal use for rebuilding pa-18's and they could sell me one. However it only took about 1 hr to make a nice one from CroMo. The old piece had pits about 3/4
    of the way through it I guess where mud/snow laid on it. Same with the tubes there. Outside -in rust. One side had a visible hole about the size of a BB in that spot.

I ordered 17mm seamless liner tubes for the longerons which are about .010 smaller than the tubing. They just will slide
    without getting jammed. They came in 1 or 1.5 mm wall. I am going to start them at the back where they weld to the post-- how far forward should I go ???? I am planning on going at least as far forward as the front spring bracket so its
    doubled at that fitting---- how much further ??????

I also have tubing for the tail post liner too. There is a welded in bush at the bottom that looks like it backs up the lower rudder hinge point welds. I am going to make the liner tube step down and go inside that--- and that piece will be about flush with the bottom of the post and that welded in bushing. I dont see any easy way to get that bushing out without
    compromising the tail post tube. Probably couldt find a core drill in that size since it prob isn't a common fractional size.
    ( like I did for the longeron tubes--- they were 3/4 od-) seems like they are 7/8 maybe. didn't see any in that size at the
    surplus store.

Thanks for the info-----
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Looked on my short wing drawings disk-- don't see a drawing # 11532...…. would that be from a super cub parts manual ?
    this stray blueprint printout I found didn't show enough to see a page number or anything---
    I guess I am good now though ! I wonder why the piper drawing didn't show that part..... were some of the drawing
    never recovered ? Lost for ever ? or do we believe it has all that there ever were ?
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

some others know the story better than I, but the group that created the dwg CD could not get all the drawings.
    "Progress is our most important problem"