Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mystery mart number -

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: mystery mart number -

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    Looked on my short wing drawings disk-- don't see a drawing # 11532...…. would that be from a super cub parts manual ?
    this stray blueprint printout I found didn't show enough to see a page number or anything---
    I guess I am good now though ! I wonder why the piper drawing didn't show that part..... were some of the drawing
    never recovered ? Lost for ever ? or do we believe it has all that there ever were ?
    Tim
    11532 wasn't on the disk, but the reference for it is on 14610.

Post Thanks / Like

Front tail post spring bushing ?????

I was thinking of making something to go inside the box--- I was not so much thinking of a bushing so much as a piece of tubing slightly bigger than the bolt (loose fit-) that is adjusted precicely in length so that when I weld on the strap on the bottom-- the tube just bears weight on the inside surface of the strap (tack weld in 2 places on the inside of the box)
    and no weld on the bottom on the strap- with the operative idea being that the compression forces on the box from the spring and bolt might compress the box over time--- and an internal spacer would create a rigid column to prevent a slow
    collapse over time.

Is the purpose of a bushing here to prevent the box from collapsing ? or does it need to be tight fitting and welded on both ends to fight lateral forces ? If the latter then i will have to open up the holes in the box and strap so the bushing can exit out flush before welding- right ? I was thinking a couple of tacks if it is ONLY preventing collapse........ (and those just so it didnt slide out of allignment if you took the bolt out--)

This is probably a newbie question I guess----

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We weld out the parts, drill the hole out for a piece of thick walled 4130 tubing/bushing, weld it all and then smooth the welds out so that the bolt, washer, spring fit flat. If you don't weld it all out you will get moisture in there and it can rust out.

Post Thanks / Like

OK - Thanks Steve--- will do whole hog heavy duty there. I guess thats a bad area there where a huge amount of stress is focused when that spring takes its beating ! Great thought about moisture too ! That sounds like a gold nugget of wisdom.

Thanks again !