Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust leaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exhaust leaks

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    . Exhaust leak needs fixed or it can be an expensive repair or new cylinder... just had to put a new one on because previous owners let an exhaust leak go to long.

The cooked paint looked burnt orange kind of like what you have there.
    Cameron, I recently had a 22/20 with 3 cylinders leaking exhaust. Fixed two of them with new gaskets and studs. Fixed the third with Steve’s flange resurfacer which is easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Cameron, I recently had a 22/20 with 3 cylinders leaking exhaust. Fixed two of them with new gaskets and studs. Fixed the third with Steve’s flange resurfacer which is easy to use.
    Any difference in CHT?

Post Thanks / Like

Not an exhaust leak plug and wire end would be soot covered. It's vary obvious. This is just paint cooking off. If your CHT gage says it's getting hotter then there is another issue. I would look for intake leak or other fuel issue.

Burnt paint can be normal throughout the life of the cylinder but yours has a unusual look to it, something might be getting too hot.

Should be pretty easy: spark fuel or air

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Nice, wish I would have had a tool like this a couple months ago, google found this post, https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ll=1#post79682
    and a tool at ACS but it is not like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Several years ago my Dad and I were walking through the fly market at Oshkosh when I ran across an exhaust flange resurfacer. It wasn't cheap but being the tool junky that I am I ended up buying it. Used it on my Pacer severl years ago and on customers airplanes from time to time. I had a chance to use it on my 1500 hr smoh O-320 on my Super Cub yesterday. Someone had installed two exhaust gaskets trying to stop an exhaust leak. I pulled the exhaust system and found I needed a muffler as well. Aern't airplanes fun.

The leak had eroded the exhaust studs so they were removed with this handy stud remover.

The rocker cover is removed and the tool installed and squared up.

After a few passes you can see the erosion.

And all cleaned up.

And new studs installed. Shouldn't have a leak now after a square up the flanges on the exhaust pipe with a flat file.
    Last edited by SMO22; 11-01-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Nice, wish I would have had a tool like this a couple months ago, google found this post, https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ll=1#post79682
    and a tool at ACS but it is not like this.
    That is why people are members of this website and post about problems they are having with their airplanes. They get feedback and help from people that have experienced the same thing and how they fixed it. I have sent this tool all over the country.

Post Thanks / Like

you guys are great!

Post Thanks / Like

Specialty tools are just wonderful....comparing pics 4 and 5 just gives such a sense of a repair done right. I really love those kind of tools!
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Any difference in CHT?
    Aircraft did not CHT gage.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn’t terribly expensive to pull a jug and get the exhaust port resurfaced by a cylinder shop. I just did two that way because I don’t own a resurfacing tool. It cost more to ship the cylinders than to have the work done. I think it was $80 to have both done with new studs installed. Shipping was $50 each direction.