Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wag Aero Wagabond vs Sportsman 2+2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wag Aero Wagabond vs Sportsman 2+2

Hello everyone,

I've been doing a ton of research, love the forum, and I could be over complicating things, but I wanted some opinions.

I am interested in a Wag Aero build but I am unsure which would fit my needs more, the wagabond or the sportsman 2+2. I am used to Cubs and Super cubs, although I trained in a Cessna 172. I am looking for something that has similar performance of a supercub for bush flying and getting my tail wheel endorsement. I am originally from the Alaska Bush and STOL is almost all I can eat or sleep.

The wagabond was very interesting due to the stall speed, side by side seating, and parts available due to the basis of the cub. Although after reading about the AOI and changing wings or stretching the wagabond to get the low stall speed (or adding flaps), it seemed the sportsman was a better fit, although I have zero need for a back seat. I am about a light weight, functional aircraft over astatics.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wag Aero Wagabond vs Sportsman 2+2

Wag a bond is a short wing. Lots of fun, but not in the super stol category. Why don’t you just build a Super Cub knock off? That sounds more like what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Wag a bond is a short wing. Lots of fun, but not in the super stol category. Why don’t you just build a Super Cub knock off? That sounds more like what you want.

Dgapilot, Only reason is because its not a side by side seating. That was something I was never a fan of with the cub or supercub.

Post Thanks / Like

The longer wing version will fly very similar to a Cub. I went from a Pacer to a Bushmaster and there is a significant difference in low speed handling. I rarely put the rear seat in my plane and use the space for hauling my camping gear. Yesterday, I had the back filled from my COSTCO run to the mainland. I'm very happy with my stretched Pacer. My wife likes the side by side seating.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The longer wing version will fly very similar to a Cub. I went from a Pacer to a Bushmaster and there is a significant difference in low speed handling. I rarely put the rear seat in my plane and use the space for hauling my camping gear. Yesterday, I had the back filled from my COSTCO run to the mainland. I'm very happy with my stretched Pacer. My wife likes the side by side seating.
    Stephen,

I've read alot of your post actually! Thank you for commenting. It sounds like by turning the sportsman 2+2 into only a 2 seater, I might not be losing anything over the wagabond. Is that correct?

I would like to keep things as light as possible though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish2keel View Post
    Dgapilot, Only reason is because its not a side by side seating. That was something I was never a fan of with the cub or supercub.
    I much prefer sitting on centerline. I know of a lot of 2+2 builds where they made the front seat a single in the center just for that reason. Now if you are taking your special someone, side by side is nice, but chances are going into the back country won’t be in the cards then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I much prefer sitting on centerline. I know of a lot of 2+2 builds where they made the front seat a single in the center just for that reason. Now if you are taking your special someone, side by side is nice, but chances are going into the back country won’t be in the cards then.

Really? The kitfox is a side by side and is a backcountry plane. That was my reason for looking at the wagabond over the 2+2 and making supercub mods to it.

@Stephen, Do you have thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a 4 place PA 18 fuselage on airframes Alaska site and I think Javron had a 4 place cub at Oshkosh this year, but it was a one off to see if there was any interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish2keel View Post
    Really? The kitfox is a side by side and is a backcountry plane. That was my reason for looking at the wagabond over the 2+2 and making supercub mods to it.

@Stephen, Do you have thoughts on that?
    I learned tail wheel flying in a J3. Adjusting to a side by side PA 22/20 was no big deal. Flying side by side has many advantages when taking passengers. Side by side planes do fine in most back country strips.
    Last edited by Stephen; 10-31-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would not call the Kitfox a backcountry airplane. It is an airplane adapted to the back country by a market demand. Yes, you can go fly with Trent Palmer but doesn't meet my mission for backcountry. I want to be able to carry two people and a weeks worth of camping supplies 1,000 miles plus. Having flown Pacers and Super Cubs on gravel bars I like the centerline visibility. It was always hard to see what was on my right side in the Pacer, not so in the Cub. Pacer was a lot faster and carried a lot more stuff easier. It is all acompromise.