Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wag Aero Wagabond vs Sportsman 2+2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wag Aero Wagabond vs Sportsman 2+2

Quote Originally Posted by fish2keel View Post
    Stephen,

Would you stretch both the fuse and wing wagabon to SC dimensions, or is there a combination of things that make a great BC aircraft.

Thanks for all your help btw!
    We missed each other in the last post. Definitely, SC wing span. I have 37' 2" on my Bushmaster. I don't think you would need the full SC fuselage length. There lots of stretches ranging from 18 to over 24 inches. If you keep the Wag light 18" should work fine.

You can choose your own AOI, I think Javron Cub sells kits for adjusting AOI. SC tail with or w/o the jack screw should work well. Extended V type gear work well off airport.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    We missed each other in the last post. Definitely, SC wing span. I have 37' 2" on my Bushmaster. I don't think you would need the full SC fuselage length. There lots of stretches ranging from 18 to over 24 inches. If you keep the Wag light 18" should work fine.

You can choose your own AOI, I think Javron Cub sells kits for adjusting AOI. SC tail with or w/o the jack screw should work well. Extended V type gear work well off airport.
    I will go reread your super pacer thread again, to see what you have done. I guess I need to order some plans and start reading them over.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you are satisfied with the cockpit width in a Wag.

Post Thanks / Like

I will do more research on the cockpit width. I see some people stretch the width by 4 or so inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you are satisfied with the cockpit width in a Wag.
    Stephen, What are your thoughts on the "Super 17"?

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, What are your thoughts on the "Super 17"?
    I had to look it up. Wow, it looks great. I did not see what his wing span is. That would be interesting to know. I like the doors, landing gear and engine choice.

Stock Pacer wing span is 29' 3" if I remember correctly. My Pacer prior to the BM mod was just over 31' using Pacer struts. Now, at 37' + I'm using custom struts which are a bit longer than SC struts.

Post Thanks / Like

After sitting in the prototype 2+2, I realized that the firewall was still PA-12 and so you actually sit at an angle with your feet towards the center of the airplane. It felt kinda awkward to me. If I do build one it will have the PA-12 seating configuration. Owned a PA-15 for about 10 years and it is very roomy.-Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueshortwing View Post
    After sitting in the prototype 2+2, I realized that the firewall was still PA-12 and so you actually sit at an angle with your feet towards the center of the airplane. It felt kinda awkward to me. If I do build one it will have the PA-12 seating configuration. Owned a PA-15 for about 10 years and it is very roomy.-Ross
    Ross, Have anymore information on your PA-15? Do you know the cabin width by chance? Seems to be harder to find than I imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to look it up. Wow, it looks great. I did not see what his wing span is. That would be interesting to know. I like the doors, landing gear and engine choice.

Stock Pacer wing span is 29' 3" if I remember correctly. My Pacer prior to the BM mod was just over 31' using Pacer struts. Now, at 37' + I'm using custom struts which are a bit longer than SC struts.
    I ended up messaging the original builder of the "Super 17" here on the forum. He mentioned he left the stock length wings and was not a fan of the short wing, therefore he sold it and bought a long wing.

I did some research and saw a plane that is rather interesting, it goes by SQ 4 by Mackey. He did the SQ 2. His slat system is interesting in itself. That is the exactly the performance im after. I just need to figure out how to make the empty weight of the 2+2 lighter or stretch the wagabond to being able to carry more load.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up messaging the original builder of the "Super 17" here on the forum. He mentioned he left the stock length wings and was not a fan of the short wing, therefore he sold it and bought a long wing.

I did some research and saw a plane that is rather interesting, it goes by SQ 4 by Mackey. He did the SQ 2. His slat system is interesting in itself. That is the exactly the performance im after. I just need to figure out how to make the empty weight of the 2+2 lighter or stretch the wagabond to being able to carry more load.
    Wayne Mackey's SC's are amazing performers. Be aware that slats or cuffs get their performance by increasing the AOA. I watched Wayne years ago putting his SQ 2 to the test at Johnson Creek. His deck angle landing was very high, he walked the plane down the field with very little visibility. Big flaps will lower the deck angle. You are on the right track, lots of wing surface, good engine/prop performance and light weight. Pacers with a few mods can come close to a stock SC performance. You might check out the Highlander. What is the difference in empty weight of the Wag and 2+2?