Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Univair 6-pack panel question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Univair 6-pack panel question

I am working with my A&P to design a new panel for a pa-22/20. To reduce the workload of transitioning between aircraft, I am interested in using the univair 6-pack panel to get a standard/familiar layout.

For anyone that has done this, are there any depth constraints that would complicate instrument placement such as the underlying tubing. My assumption was that if univair made this panel that standard instruments would fit. My plan is to go with electric and do away with vacuum instruments.

Any thoughts or concerns I need to think about? Thanks.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Univair 6-pack panel question

I did mine when Woolsey still owned it.
    Simple and quick installation on a 1956
    PA22/20. I have powdercoated my latest
    instrument panel for durability.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d.grimm; 10-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a thread with some good information on the Woolsey and Jag Air panel mods.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...nstument-panel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Here is a thread with some good information on the Woolsey and Jag Air panel mods.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...nstument-panel
    Dave,

thanks for for your reply. So, you have living proof it can be done! My A&P was concerned that with moving things around on the left side, he would bump into a tube or something since the plane was never designed to place instruments in those locations. I couldn't say for sure, but I thought it seemed improbable that univair was selling a panel that doesn't actually work. Much appreciated.

Tim

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tnathan View Post
    Dave,

thanks for for your reply. So, you have living proof it can be done! My A&P was concerned that with moving things around on the left side, he would bump into a tube or something since the plane was never designed to place instruments in those locations. I couldn't say for sure, but I thought it seemed improbable that univair was selling a panel that doesn't actually work. Much appreciated.

Tim
    Good morning Tim, yes it can be done without any big issues as I have done them both on my 1955 Pa22's. I assume you are using the new modern panel, and that's why you are purchasing from Univair?? You should check out the Cub Doctor. I got both made there but I use the older style panel. Not sure if he makes the new modern Pa 22 Panel (radio stack in the center). My only word of caution is there is cross v brace about 1/3 to the right of the panel. With my installs I couldn't get the DG to fit in the bottom middle hole of the 6 pack The work around was to purchase a narrow deck Turn Coordinator which barely fit between them and place the DG where the TC would normally go. Had this issue with both planes. Now all that said I use the first generation older style panel and the two newer panels (sharp rounded corners or the hump) may not have this issue as they standup higher and should have better clearance.
    Good Luck.

Attachment 11144
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 10-11-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Univair panel is the same as dave's Woolsey panel, that is probably best way to go. If building a panel from a Cub Doctor Blank
    the DG fitted right above the yoke bushing will have to move up some slight amount or to the left some slight amount to clear a tube
    that runs from the yoke bushing area to the center top of the firewall. The amount of movement depends a little on the shape
    and size of the DG case. I am guessing the way the Univiar/Woolsey panel accomplished the DG layout was to move it up
    and put the lower group of instruments closer to the upper row of instruments. That should not be a problem with the later
    "humped-center stack" panel.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    Good morning Tim, yes it can be done without any big issues as I have done them both on my 1955 Pa22's. I assume you are using the new modern panel, and that's why you are purchasing from Univair?? You should check out the Cub Doctor. I got both made there but I use the older style panel. Not sure if he makes the new modern Pa 22 Panel (radio stack in the center). My only word of caution is there is cross v brace about 1/3 to the right of the panel. With my installs I couldn't get the DG to fit in the bottom middle hole of the 6 pack The work around was to purchase a narrow deck Turn Coordinator which barely fit between them and place the DG where the TC would normally go. Had this issue with both planes. Now all that said I use the first generation older style panel and the two newer panels (sharp rounded corners or the hump) may not have this issue as they standup higher and should have better clearance.
    Good Luck.

Attachment 11144
    I too had the tube issue on my 54 tri pacer- mumble mumble

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was done before I owned it, later model humped panel.

1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I am working on mine currently... from layout to fab.
    started by tracing the original overlays, dimensioning and then recreated the outline in CAD.
    then started placing the instruments in the t-config on pilot side and arranging the engine instruments on the right side. also re-locating the circuit breakers to the right side panel. as a double check / sanity check, a gentlemen from Canada who had previously done the same provided his CAD files, which I then over-laid on the work that I had done. Also plotted out full size template and cut them out and taped in place for a 'fit check'
    IMG_3576.jpg
    I then had the panel blanks water-jet cut at a local fab shop.
    only issue I have had thus far was for the vertical speed... I had an inertia vsi which was just over 5" long and had to exchange that for a standard vsi that is 4" long (deep)
    IMG_4007.jpg

FWIW... would be more than happy to provide my CAD files to anyone interested.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Mine was done before I owned it, later model humped panel.

Hey Jim, Great looking panel. I love seeing CB's popped on women, but usually not on aircraft

Steve