Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dented Ailerons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dented Ailerons

One of my newly recovered ailerons hit the floor and dented the leading edge. Not sure how to proceed. Don't want to take it all apart again, can I use autobody filler? Or will that mess with the weight of the aileron. Maybe just leave it alone, paint it and put it on the to do list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dented Ailerons

Hi,

The folks that work car bodies pull out most of a dent before putty. For quite a while now they're using slide hammers that clip on the snake like grips they glue in place with hot melt glue. Smaller things, like your dent, they would just use hot melt glue to attach a hot glue melt stick perpendicular for pulling. You can do the same for pulling up acorn, hail, and other small dents. When you're pulling up lightly tap with a small hammer around on the creased edge on the depression.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EajVTNHYfJw
    Last edited by Jim; 11-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jim, get a cheap slide hammer and pull out the dent. I would use a self taping screw into the leading edge and connect the puller and pull out the dent. The leading edge of the aileron will work fine with a few minor dents.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The aileron leading edge is 3003 aluminum which is very soft. I would use a flat body hammer or slapper and lightly tap the high spots and those low spots should come most of the way out.

When Dakota Cub did the Part23 certification of their Super 18 they had to do a flutter test. The ailerons barely passed. Surprised me when I thought back of uncovering ailerons that were packed ful of bondo.

Post Thanks / Like

What Steve said! I have a little 2 1/2 oz ball peen hammer I use for jobs like that. Go slow, a little goes a long way!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought of the slide hammer deal but don't really want to drill holes. But then again it's already full of holes from someone else doing the same repair. I'll try the glue trick first, maybe a strip of fabric glued down with some ekobond will hold? If not I'll get aggressive and drill some holes and take the tune up hammer to it.
    Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
    I thought of the slide hammer deal but don't really want to drill holes. But then again it's already full of holes from someone else doing the same repair. I'll try the glue trick first, maybe a strip of fabric glued down with some ekobond will hold? If not I'll get aggressive and drill some holes and take the tune up hammer to it.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I fill small holes with epoxy, then paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight sells a dent puller:

https://www.harborfreight.com/crossb...kit-66957.html

Actually worked surprisingly well on a couple of small dents on my truck. Luck - Dwain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a dent puller:

https://www.harborfreight.com/crossb...kit-66957.html

Actually worked surprisingly well on a couple of small dents on my truck. Luck - Dwain
    I don't get how this technique would work without removing the fabric first.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

Once again, I possibly jumped in with some worthless info. After re-reading the post, I now see the aileron is covered, I didn't notice that initially. Maybe just glueing on a glue stick to lift a little while tapping will help, maybe not. Cheap to find out but perhaps won't be of much help after all.