Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: magnetized Tri Pacer air-frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

Default magnetized Tri Pacer air-frame

I need help getting my Tri Pacer air-frame degaussed (demagnetized). I had a short of the starter power cable to the frame and now it is magnetized. The compass only points north toward the tubes at the windshield. Is there any place that loans or rents a tool to fix this? A degaussing yoke or "growler"maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: magnetized Tri Pacer air-frame

Back in the early sixties I repaired TV’s on the side. The picture tube was big vacuum tube with a metal mask that periodically needed to be degaussed.
    I wrapped about three hundred turns of #26 enameled wire aground a 10 inch diameter GI s—t can.
    I then wrapped the coil in tape, added a momentary on switch and electrical cord. I kept it all these years for no good reason. Then I sparked a wire behind my instrument panel and the compass took up a permanent residence pointing East.
    I found my tv picture tube degaussing coil and degaussed the airframe.

1000 feet of #26 enameled wire(http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/wirega.html )will give you 40 ohms of resistance and draw 2.75 amps at 110 volts.

Energize the coil close to the tube and parallel to it and move it in circular motion around the magnetized tube several times then turn the coil perpendicular to the tube and walk away from it and turn the coil off when you are several feet away. If you don’t do
    that last step you risk leaving some residual magnetism. The coil will get warm, that’s normal.

All numbers are approximate. I=E/R so if you like go figure what 1000 feet of wire will give you.

LATE EDIT
    I got nervous about the reliability of my memory and the wire size and length so I just now measured the coils DC resistance. It’s 35 ohms so there must be slightly less than 1000 feet of wire. You get the idea, precision is not required, a strong alternating magnetic field is that slowly diminishes to nothing is what you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-06-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You can still buy new degaussing coils: https://www.frys.com/product/487898

Tom P
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone buys this please measure the coil resistance and let me know what it is. I think the one I built was probably from a design in a1960’s electronic magazine. Too long ago to remember.

Does any modern electronics still use CRT’s?

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember watching a TV repair man doing this to restore the uniformity of the colors --- us kids were probably playing with big magnets to distort the screen.... ( Im sure it was my brother -- not ME )