Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water in fuel sample

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Water in fuel sample

As a note in response to the initial water event...my airplane doesn't seem to ever get condensation in the tanks. Not sure why not. However, if I leave the plane parked outside and it rains, water is held up around the edges of the caps by surface tension. That doesn't matter unless either the atmospheric pressure goes from low to high, which sucks air (or in this case water) in through the vents in the vented caps, or if I fill the airplane during the day and then the cooling of fuel overnight does the same thing if it rains at night. In both of those cases, I have gotten substantial water into the tanks. Always sump your tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Two,things:
    i never get water in the Batplane my 61 Tripacer. Ever. My 182 would make some every night it seamed...

knowing ones plane and getting trained on the preflight should be a no brainier. Can't tell you how many times a pilot brought a plane into my hanger and didn't know where all the sumps were and how to drain them. Maule in particular, one crashed with me aboard with a couple gallons in a tip tank... fun times!

havnt sumped the Batplane since early spring, engine made metal, wonder f there is water in the sump now... I'll let you know.

rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

When my airplane was caught out in the Sun n Fun disaster of 2011 I found a good amount of water in my fuel tanks. I spent three days sumping to get it all out. Since then I never park outside without taping plastic baggies over my fuel caps. I should mention that the gaskets on the caps are new but I don’t trust them. I never get water from condensation though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten water in the tank from condensation in bigger airplanes (60-70 gallon tanks) if parked near empty in conditions that favor condensation and we get condensation in the portable fuel tanks (100-300 gallon steel tanks). I think a smaller airplane would have to sit a very long time in the right conditions to form enough to notice. I have always been told to keep tanks full to avoid condensation so that just leaves whatever bare surface there is inside the tank for moisture to collect on. Condensation forms on the bottom and sides before forming on the top inside surface of the tanks and will return to the air if nothing disturbs the airplane or there wasnít enough form to flow into the fuel. I have seen water in smoker oil tanks but those almost never get drained and cleaned out. In fact, the only one I have ever pulled had rusted out and was leaking through a couple dozen pin holes.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 11-13-2019 at 08:19 AM.