Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

Quote Originally Posted by kevbot View Post
    https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/s...oulder-lights/

These LEDs pop right into the Piper shoulder lights and are way better than stock. Attached pic is new LED on the pilot side and stock on the copilot side. For regular night flying I would highly recommend also upgrading to LED nav/position and landing/taxi lights
    Be careful with LED drop-in bulbs. The Piper electrical system is pretty sensitive to electrical noise. Even with clean grounds and a double shielded antenna wire I have radio interference caused by my LED drop-ins. I’ve switched them back to incandescent bulbs until I can rewire the wings with shielded wire.

EDIT: Just clarifying that the interference was caused by my LED drop-ins for the position lights - I’ve got no experience with the ones that SWPC is selling.
    Last edited by CamTom12; 11-11-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Instrument and Panel Lighting Options

I've actually experienced a "reversed" noise issue with the LED's in the over the shoulder lights. Took a while to figure it out but when I click my push-to-talk button, the light over my should would light up very dimly. You could only see it if it was very dark out. Caused a lot of head scratching. Turned out that the radio antenna was close enough (mounted on the wing root covers) or the antenna wire routed by the light wire, that the LED bulb would produce light when I transmit. As it takes a lot more juice to power an incandescent than an LED, it was never an issue with the old bulbs. If I transmit on Com 2 (on the other wing root) the LED on that side lights.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I've actually experienced a "reversed" noise issue with the LED's in the over the shoulder lights. Took a while to figure it out but when I click my push-to-talk button, the light over my should would light up very dimly. You could only see it if it was very dark out. Caused a lot of head scratching. Turned out that the radio antenna was close enough (mounted on the wing root covers) or the antenna wire routed by the light wire, that the LED bulb would produce light when I transmit. As it takes a lot more juice to power an incandescent than an LED, it was never an issue with the old bulbs. If I transmit on Com 2 (on the other wing root) the LED on that side lights.
    That’s a feature! You’ll never have to worry getting in trouble with a stuck mic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope your LEDs are dimmable as I really hate bright lights when I’m flying at night disturbing my night vision And degrading my vision outside

These LEDs pop right into the Piper shoulder lights and are way better than stock. Attached pic is new LED on the pilot side and stock on the copilot side. For regular night flying I would highly recommend also upgrading to LED nav/position and landing/taxi lights

Post Thanks / Like

I am also using the LED lights in the "shoulder lights" and as long as there is a regular incandescent light bulb in the circuit, they are dimmable.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I get one of those gold rapper necklaces and hook one of these $2. harbor freight ironman lights onto it so it rests on my chest, lights the whole panel up soft red.. and I look really cool wearing it LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I get one of those gold rapper necklaces and hook one of these $2. harbor freight ironman lights onto it so it rests on my chest, lights the whole panel up soft red.. and I look really cool wearing it LOL
    Pretty Pimpin' if you ask me.....

Post Thanks / Like

Curious if anyone still has a lead on these light bulbs. I have had a "burnt-out" one for a bit and need to replace it. Tried the link but it seems to be dead. Let me know if anyone has a lead on these LED replacements.

Thanks,

Riff Jr.
    Dave Riffle
    Woodinville, Wa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the harbor freight triangle lights!
    They are handy and portable (no paperwork)
    They can hang from your ceiling speaker cover.
    They don’t drain your battery.
    Like all things…they cost twice as much
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 08-28-2023 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Addition