Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: which way did yall do this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default which way did yall do this ?

Im working on fitting the new sections of lower longeron into the tail post. I am thinking of how to
    create the swoop in the end where the outer edge bends inward to meet the post.

1. I could try to some how pie slice the tube (?) and bend the outboard of the tubing in-- and pie
    slice relief cuts at 90 degrees and weld it back up …..

2. I can leave extra uncut tube hanging past tail post tube--- then I could cut the outboard side of the tube
    so the cut opens up the outboard side and swoop it----- then when Im happy with the shape--- cut an oval piece of sheet-- bent to fit over the cut hole and weld it onto the cut- so that the elliptical piece forms a flat-faced swoop.

Im thinking the 2-nd way might not be as elegant as piper did it- (if they pied-it out) but would be a LOT easier and might look just as good as an end result.

which way did yall do it ? I saw several of you doing this lately-----
    (doing the tail post sleeve to BTW)

A good close up pick of your swooped end might be helpful if someone has one handy...…

Thanks-
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: which way did yall do this ?

Cut and cope to fit the tail post, weld it on the inside section, heat the outboard section of tube and form around with a hammer and weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi violinmaker,

As you've probably realized, this is the worlds best resource for all things shortwing. Have you considered becoming a supporting member?

Post Thanks / Like

A big YES on that Jim----I have about 15 things I havnt got to---- Im preparing to relocate to another state -
    so things are pretty busy---

Is that information at the top header up there ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Steve- sounds like you are doing the first way--- do you cut some narrow triangle out of the sides to get it to fold
    neater ?

Just looking at the blueprint (pa-18 Im guessing) of that area---side view shows the tip of the tube ending at the centerline
    of the TP and the bottom view shows the wrapped end ending at the rear edge (flush with the back) of the TP. I THINK I remember it stopping near the rear edge of the TP.

I kept the old longeron pieces to use for testing to refine my coping and bending/cutting process before I start on the
    new tubing....(with the liner in it-)

T