Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortwingers please take care

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shortwingers please take care

Just wanted to ensure you fully appreciate the seriousness of this corona virus pandemic.
    I am not scaremongering but it is a VERY serious issue worldwide.

If you are young, healthy and catch it you will be quite unwell but run the risk of spreading the virus to your family who may be frail or have health issues.
    If you catch the virus, are the same age as your Shortwing and/or have health issues it will probably kill you.

No vaccinations are currently available and not likely to appear until the end of this year.

Follow your government's advice and employ social distancing where ever possible.
    This is to stop the virus spreading by people coughing/sneezing which is the main way of infection.

You only have to look at what has happened in Italy - a truly awful situation.
    They have now had more deaths in Italy than in China.
    China population 1.4 billion and Italy 60 million. You can do the maths....
    Take care
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shortwingers please take care

The airport and flying my plane is one of the safe activities I can do and stay a reasonable distance from people.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The airport and flying are safe places. It is everywhere else you need to take care..
    Just on TV - Italy have 41000 confirmed cases and 3500 have died...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Just wanted to ensure you fully appreciate the seriousness of this corona virus pandemic.
    I am not scaremongering but it is a VERY serious issue worldwide.

If you are young, healthy and catch it you will be quite unwell but run the risk of spreading the virus to your family who may be frail or have health issues.
    If you catch the virus, are the same age as your Shortwing and/or have health issues it will probably kill you.

No vaccinations are currently available and not likely to appear until the end of this year.

Follow your government's advice and employ social distancing where ever possible.
    This is to stop the virus spreading by people coughing/sneezing which is the main way of infection.

You only have to look at what has happened in Italy - a truly awful situation.
    They have now had more deaths in Italy than in China.
    China population 1.4 billion and Italy 60 million. You can do the maths....
    Take care
    TonyN
    I agree, We all should try to do what we can to minimize the spread. But let's also keep things in perspective. If your as old as your Pacer, and get infected, it won't probably kill you. So far, the death rate in China "of those who get the virus" between ages 60 and 69 are 3.6%.
    Far more people in that age group die from Heart disease, Diabetes, High blood pressure, General lack of health from lifestyle. Yet I see those same people continue to smoke, eat donuts for breakfast, don't exercise, etc, etc. The bottom line is we don't mind killing ourselves, we just don't want anyone to do it for us. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I think the difference is that those people with "unhealthy" lifestyles could kill you and not just themselves.
    From Wikipedia just now:
    "As of 20 March 2020, the rate of deaths per number of diagnosed cases is 4.1%; however, it ranges from 0.2% to 15% depending on age and other health problems"

I am not a medical person at all but very curious how this virus is running out of control.
    Loads of excellent info on Wikipedia and words I have never ever heard of!
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't believe everything on Wikipedia.it can be a good source, but it is edited by anyone with a keyboard and Internet access. Those percentages are that high because most people that got it haven't been tested or might not have even realised they had it so haven't been counted . Yes it is a huge deal for the immune comprised and or the elderly but so is the regular flu So we need to help by not getting them sick. Below is copied from cdc.gov

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 03-20-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Three hour ago the UK government took the unprecedented step to order the immediate closing of all restaurants, cafes, clubs, pubs, bars, gyms etc. in the whole of the UK.
    They are really concerned about the virus spreading via areas where people can congregate socially.
    I think they have been really spooked by official (UK government health service modelling) that show deaths could ramp up to 250,000 in a few months unless people start to practice social distancing. Also social isolation is needed for 14 days if you develop a cough and fever.

UK Gov is also now guaranteeing to pay ALL UK employees affected by potential layoff (caused by shut down businesses) 80% of their average salary.
    This is to stop them losing their job - another economic nightmare for the UK Gov.
    This will cost the UK government a huge sum so they are really concerned about stopping this.

Just be careful out in USA...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, yes, the situation here in Italy is dramatic....

The ospitals are full....

We stay at home, just go out to buy the necessary to eat. This since about 2 weeks, probably until 5 april, but the deceased continue to increase!

There are some shop open, like mine (I sell car spare parts), we can stay open because we must ensure the transport service.

But let me say that "the numbers" aren't really correct.
    Every country in Europe use different method to count the victims: people die with Covid but not die from the Covid...
    In Italy they count all.

Mostly are people with other pathologies.

I don't want to say that without Covid the would have died anyway, but , of course , they were less "strong" than normal.

In the range until 55/60 years old it's seems that there aren't (or there are few) deceased without previous pathologies.

It is equally true that the average age in Italy is high....

This does not mean that the virus it's a simply cold!!

Our ospitals are full!! No bed available....

We are all scared.

Ciao.
    Alex.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex,

Glad you and family are okay. I think you are in one of the worst affected areas of Italy.
    They say the UK is about three weeks behind Italy....
    So, stringent adherence to UK Government advice on social isolation and distancing is critical if we here in UK are going to get through this.

Indeed scary times...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Hi guys, yes, the situation here in Italy is dramatic....

The ospitals are full....

We stay at home, just go out to buy the necessary to eat. This since about 2 weeks, probably until 5 april, but the deceased continue to increase!

There are some shop open, like mine (I sell car spare parts), we can stay open because we must ensure the transport service.

But let me say that "the numbers" aren't really correct.
    Every country in Europe use different method to count the victims: people die with Covid but not die from the Covid...
    In Italy they count all.

Mostly are people with other pathologies.

I don't want to say that without Covid the would have died anyway, but , of course , they were less "strong" than normal.

In the range until 55/60 years old it's seems that there aren't (or there are few) deceased without previous pathologies.

It is equally true that the average age in Italy is high....

This does not mean that the virus it's a simply cold!!

Our ospitals are full!! No bed available....

We are all scared.

Ciao.
    Alex.

Thanks for the update Alex, good to get a first hand report. Hope you and yours stay healthy and safe along wiith everyone else..