Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: O290 low oil pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Default O290 low oil pressure

I'll leave this here for posterity, and hope it helps someone with a similar issue. For 2 years i had chased a low oil pressure issue on my pa 22/20. The previous owner had the bottom end overhauled trying to fix it, and the engine shop just told him "these things just run like that". I fiddled with everything trying to figure out what was wrong. At full rpm it would suit in the upper yellow of the arc at about 47psi, and when warmed up, if I pulled it to idle it would read under 10psi...

As it turns out, it had a right angle oil filter adapter installed, and the instructions were from 2007. These instructions were followed for its install, but after a call to the stc owner, I found that they were incorrect, and he has since revised them. On most o290 motors, you can just mount the adapter, but on many, an orifice plate needs to be installed to drive pressure up. The original oil screen had the orifice built in, so when that was removed it essentially left a gaping hole back into the case.

$10 in parts and now it runs strong at 75psi. Food for thought of you're chasing your oil pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: O290 low oil pressure

I haven't looked but some O-290s must have the same accessory case as the O-235. This issue has come up before, good to know what to look for when installing an oil filter on an O-290 as well.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...n-the-O-235-C1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O290 low oil pressure

That's exactley right. Most 290s had the restriction cast into the case as I understand it, but some production runs of this motor did not, and used the oil screen adapter for that purpose. In its absence, there is no restriction to bring up pressure