Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Well folks, I’m flying my newly purchased pa-22 160 home and it needs some work done. Probably needs a full annual inspection. Probably needs the controls inspected. Anyways... I am looking for a shop/mechanic in the Bay Area that is familiar with Tri Pacers. Any recommendations? I need someone who really knows these things. Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Congrats, I don't know anyone in the Bay area but hopefully someone here will.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new plane. In what city will it be hangered?
    You might have to go to Reid-Hillview, Watsonville, Sam Martin, San Carlos, etc where there is more classic GA activity than close-in Bay Area. The local airports at those towns have FB pages where you can inquire, and listings in AirNav with services on the fields.
    Contact the SuperCub group, they probably have members in that region who can recommend a good shop.
    www.supercub.org
    The Hiller Museum in San Carlos might have a name as well.
    www,hiller.org

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I never made it home so I don’t need a Bay Area mechanic at the moment. My newly purchased plane is grounded in AZ getting a bunch of work done. Not the way I imagined my dream of owning my own plane starting off.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a sad day in the Aviation community, when someone will sell and aircraft to a Fireman, that is un-flyable. I buy, sell and repair my share of aircraft, and have followed this aircraft in the SWPC site. I tried to fly this aircraft home for this guy, and had my hands full the minute this thing left the ground. Can't even begin to list the squawks, on this aircraft. If your going to sell a aircraft to someone, especially someone who dedicates his life in helping others, be honest, and straight forward. This guy is a new pilot, and if he was to try and fly this thing he would be dead by now. The person who did the pre-buy and Annual on this thing needs to have their license pulled. Anyway the Tri-Pacer is at our shop in Tucson, AZ. We specialize in short wing piper aircraft and when we are done this guy will have the plane he expected when he bought it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What were the issues that got past the pre-purchase/annual?

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you want me to start. No Static instruments, found static ports covered. Oleo strut leaking, shimmies going down the runway. Found the o-ring that goes to the oil filler tube, on the oil dip stick, Hoof valve was leaking, fuel leaking inside of the aircraft, leaking oil at the front seal, controls are super stiff some of the cabling is off the pullies, numerous wiring problems under the panel, carb heat interfering with the flight controls. That was with a quick check, don't get me started on the logs, no placards. Looks pretty though.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, flying from AZ to SFO area involves long stretches of flying over tall granite and lots of nothing.
    I'm very sorry to hear our new comrade got screwed by the seller, but glad we heard about it here and not in Kathryn's Report.

Good luck Schooley, I hope you get your plane in proper rig without too much bother and expense, and we'll be praying the seller gets shingles.
    I'm confident Ed will take good care of you and not rip you off.
    By the way, was this 8619D? I snooped around a bit on the web. Not a huge fan of doxxing but want to be sure i know who never to deal with.

GG
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 11-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    Where do you want me to start. No Static instruments, found static ports covered. Oleo strut leaking, shimmies going down the runway. Found the o-ring that goes to the oil filler tube, on the oil dip stick, Hoof valve was leaking, fuel leaking inside of the aircraft, leaking oil at the front seal, controls are super stiff some of the cabling is off the pullies, numerous wiring problems under the panel, carb heat interfering with the flight controls. That was with a quick check, don't get me started on the logs, no placards. Looks pretty though.
    The pretty white and blue one?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not going to throw the seller under the bus, I am not that kind of person. But the seller was a long time member of the short wing piper club and was a board member at one time. I just can’t believe that someone would advertise and sell an aircraft as airworthy when it appears that it was not. It’s my fault though, I didn’t get a true pre-purchase inspection. I had a wonderful member of this group refer me to someone to ferry it for me and I contacted him last minute and he took time out of his day to fly it for me, since this is my first plane ever and I am a student pilot. I know nothing about any of this. I have dreamed of flying since I was a kid. Had to put it behind me as kids and work and life took higher priority. I figured I would hopefully fly when I retired. I am a dedicated family man and never thought of doing something “selfish” for me such as buying a plane, but my wonderful wife told me I can’t wait to fly until I retire. She encouraged me to do it now. Spent the last few years getting everything aligned for taking my first lessons and getting my certificate. Of course I was always browsing trade a plane dreaming of someday owning. Then this beautiful white and blue tri pacer came about and seemed too good to pass up. My wife trusted my judgement when I said let’s do it. I scrapped together all I could afford to do it, and made it happen. And know I look like a dumb ass cause I didn’t dig deep enough to find out that my new tri pacer needs a ton of work. I feel like an idiot for sure. My dream of flying isn’t starting off very well.

Luckily there are some amazing people in the aviation community. Ed is amazing, and I know I am in good hands moving forward. Anyways, enough sob story.