Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri pacer shop/mechanic needed in SF Bay Area

Maybe it’s time to have a conversation with the IA that signed off the annual. Those discrepancies noted above did not occur in last month since the annual was signed off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This might help you know the depth of work done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. The seller referred me to that video prior to purchase. That was part of the reason I felt confident in the build of the plane.

Post Thanks / Like

I've flown in that plane in April when I was considering purchasing my Tripacer. Shortwingpiperclub put me in touch with him when I was looking for someone local to fly with. I never took controls so I can't really say how it handled. Nothing unusual from a right seat perspective. The owner did tell me that he does most of the work on it himself.
    Who did the pre-buy inspection? I suggested a place on another thread. Was it them?

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of the members of this forum come fly the plane for me. He didn’t note any major issues, and he said it seemed like a good plane, but I did not have him do a thorough pre buy. The plane did act bizarre on takeoff and never felt right, and the gauges were acting weird but seemed ok, but I don’t have any experience in these planes, so I figured it normal. Anyways, moral of the story is I am at fault for not getting a full pre-buy inspection prior to flying it home. It seemed like a good aircraft, had its annual done a month before, had videos online of its rebuild, and both the seller and his mechanic stated that it was in great condition and everything worked. I trusted them and that bit me in the ass. Bad. However, I was told that the seller hiding major issues and removing the placards is seller fraud and I could take legal action if I wanted to. I don’t, I’m not that way, just was hoping the seller would fess up and at least pay for the stuff he hid. The control issues were dangerous, but I think the seller was just used to them. Moral of the story, no matter how pretty the plane, get a full pre-buy. It sucks I was taken advantaged of, and that the plane had major issues, many hidden, but it is what it is. I’m sad and bummed but it’s my fault for getting in that position. I let the idea of multiple other offers on a plane that seemed too good to be true push me to rush, and made me move too quickly on my dream I guess... let me story be a lesson to others. I started this post looking for a good mechanic. I found one. I just want to move on, get my plane home, and hopefully fall in love with it like all of you have with your tri pacers.
    Last edited by FFSchooley; 11-22-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really want to add any more insult to this story, but we have dug into 3119Z. I haven't personally looked at this video, and didn't know that he also talked with his mechanic. I also didn't know that the T/O on this thing were so violent, until after my 3rd try and then was told they were all like that. We have a FAA field inspector here, of course with all the talk around the field, he over heard this story, and now I have them going over this airplane, not what I wanted or needed, but it is what it is. 3 AD's were signed off that were not done, I have some of the 337's that were done but never sent in and approved, some that said things were done but can't find them as being done. They don't seem to be very happy with all this so far. Some of the things they have brought up. Found the aileron cables going to the right wing pinched at the pully from the interior carpeting, cabling in the left wing is so tight that you can play music with them, brake fluid leaking into cabin, and we just removed the left interior side piece, nothing but solid rust! …..UGH..... Not having fun, going flying this morning to get my head straight again on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious how the cable tension in the left wing can be so tight but I assume not the right? There is a balance cable between the two that would equal out the tensions. Can you post some pictures of some of these discrepencies?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what to do about all this? Anyone experience something similar? Do you just suck it up and pay for it all out of pocket? Do you go after the seller for fraud, since things were obviously log as completed but never done?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFSchooley View Post
    Anyone know what to do about all this? Anyone experience something similar? Do you just suck it up and pay for it all out of pocket? Do you go after the seller for fraud, since things were obviously log as completed but never done?
    My thinking is, you purchased an item and had an opportunity to have a pro inspect it along with the associated paperwork. When he had flown the airplane, it was at "his" risk should something happen that he would have had to take up with FAA and/or his insurance. Now the responsibility falls on you.
    Not the response you wanted to hear I know.
    Last edited by J Ryd; 11-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s ok. I accept that.