Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Keeping Tri-Pacer outdoors and on grass

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping Tri-Pacer outdoors and on grass

Hi all

Brit here, enjoying our lovely wet and humid climate as always. I've the opportunity to buy a gorgeous Tri-Pacer but my local airfield (Compton Abbas EGHA) currently have no hanger space, although there are plans to build new ones ready for mid-2020.

My local pilot friends have all warned against keeping fabric aircraft outdoors. I find mixed opinions on the interweb so I thought I'd get in touch with the people who know.

So, good or bad idea? It'll be kept outdoors with no shelter, on grass. I'd invest in full outdoor, breathable covers and she'll be flown reasonably regularly (once a week, maybe less?), weather permitting.

England has a temperate maritime climate so we don't see temperatures much below 0°C / 32°F in the Winter and 32°C / 90°F in the Summer, with rain seen around 170 days of the year where we are. We're also fast approaching the months where it rains the most.

Any advice gratefully received.

Richard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Keeping Tri-Pacer outdoors and on grass

Hardly any airplanes in Alaska are in hangers but there are probably more fabric airplanes than anywhere. The elements do take their tole eventually but not unheard of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dont let the fact that it will sit outside kill your dream. Buy some covers as you say and fly it. I bought a pacer and was going to let it stay outside. I invested in a full set of Bruce's Custom Covers. Im sure there is someone in England who can make the same.
    You may need to recover sooner but what the hell, You will be flying

Post Thanks / Like

Sun will cause damage to the fabric, rain has little effect. A good quality cover job especially, the application of UV protection will reduce the problem and last many years parked outside. Covers will mostly eliminate the UV problem but, are a PITA.

I have parked my fabric planes outside for years in the past. I tried to get a place that was shaded and near electricity so I can put a small and safe closet heater inside to keep the moisture down. I also preferred facing East to avoid green house over heating. Reflectors also work well. Like Steve says most Alaska airplanes are parked outside. Finally, don't worry about sun fade to the paint, enjoy and fly.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Richard,
    I just looked at that airfield on Google Maps and decided you must buy the Tri-Pacer and fly from there.
    What a beautiful area!
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...9!4d-2.1572917
    The biggest worry will be keeping your clothing clean when you wipe down the plane after flying. Can't use a creeper on the grass.

As others have said here, decent cockpit covers during the wet seasons (covers the side windows to keep away the prying eyes and deter ne'er-do-wells), a reflective window screen for the rest of the year, you will be ok for many years.
    I keep one of these in my Tri-Pacer, easy to stick between the window V-struts and the windscreen, keeps the cabin a little cooler, protects avionics, dashtop GPS, etc.:
    https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Wind.../dp/B00YGRS230
    You can buy rolls of this stuff and velcro inside the side windows too.

Make a kit to keep in your car that has all your pre/post flight gear in it (towels, cleaning spray, window spray, oil, basic tools, tiedown straps, etc.) until you have a hangar and lockers for all that.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Richard,

Just buy and fly!

If the Tri-Pacer was made of wood that would be a different situation.
    Buy decent covers and get your name on the hangar list.
    TonyN (Popham)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Dont let the fact that it will sit outside kill your dream. Buy some covers as you say and fly it. I bought a pacer and was going to let it stay outside. I invested in a full set of Bruce's Custom Covers. Im sure there is someone in England who can make the same.
    You may need to recover sooner but what the hell, You will be flying
    Awesome! Thanks for the pep-talk - much needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Sun will cause damage to the fabric, rain has little effect. A good quality cover job especially, the application of UV protection will reduce the problem and last many years parked outside. Covers will mostly eliminate the UV problem but, are a PITA.

I have parked my fabric planes outside for years in the past. I tried to get a place that was shaded and near electricity so I can put a small and safe closet heater inside to keep the moisture down. I also preferred facing East to avoid green house over heating. Reflectors also work well. Like Steve says most Alaska airplanes are parked outside. Finally, don't worry about sun fade to the paint, enjoy and fly.
    Great idea. There is a power point where I'll be able to tie-down. Hadn't even considered a closet heater. Brilliant. I've heard 303 Aerospace Protectant works wonders against the Sun...?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hello Richard,
    I just looked at that airfield on Google Maps and decided you must buy the Tri-Pacer and fly from there.
    What a beautiful area!
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...9!4d-2.1572917
    The biggest worry will be keeping your clothing clean when you wipe down the plane after flying. Can't use a creeper on the grass.

As others have said here, decent cockpit covers during the wet seasons (covers the side windows to keep away the prying eyes and deter ne'er-do-wells), a reflective window screen for the rest of the year, you will be ok for many years.
    I keep one of these in my Tri-Pacer, easy to stick between the window V-struts and the windscreen, keeps the cabin a little cooler, protects avionics, dashtop GPS, etc.:
    https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Wind.../dp/B00YGRS230
    You can buy rolls of this stuff and velcro inside the side windows too.

Make a kit to keep in your car that has all your pre/post flight gear in it (towels, cleaning spray, window spray, oil, basic tools, tiedown straps, etc.) until you have a hangar and lockers for all that.
    This is all great advice Glen, thank you. Yes, Compton Abbas is a beautiful part of the World and I feel very lucky and privileged to be here and enjoy it from the skies. It takes my breath away every time.

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Richard,

Just buy and fly!

If the Tri-Pacer was made of wood that would be a different situation.
    Buy decent covers and get your name on the hangar list.
    TonyN (Popham)
    Thanks Tony! And a local too...

So, thanks to all for the terrific advice and cementing my decision to get the Tri-Pacer and not to worry too much about keeping her outdoors. I've found a cover-maker who'll make a bespoke cover for her, been looking up closet heaters and assembling my cleaning kit!

The cloud to all this silver lining is that I called the owner yesterday only to discover he'd sold her that day. I could cry. That'll teach me to dither and delay so much.

But my enthusiasm has sky-rocketed after all the great comments so I'm now actively looking for another - will keep you posted!

Thanks again.

Richard