Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better solution than 5 gallon gas cans for Mogas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Better solution than 5 gallon gas cans for Mogas

Quote Originally Posted by davidschmaus View Post
    Thanks for everyones replies. I decided to just go ahead with 4 of the 5 gallon Fuel Jugs

Attachment 16009
    I have 5 of these red VP jugs and put 6 gallons in each. They are heavy to lift and pour, I laid it on the wing with the spout in the filler neck. I made some filler necks with a shut off valve and a 90 degree elbow. The vinyl hoses get stiff over time. I converted my engine from 150 to 160 hp recently and since we can't get high octane ethanol free car gas I have been using the airport fuel pump and 100 LL until the airport manager ran out of fuel for the 3rd time a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another easy way to do it is use a ladder as tall or taller than the fuel tank in the wing and use one of those jiggle syphon hoses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidschmaus View Post
    Thanks for everyones replies. I decided to just go ahead with 4 of the 5 gallon Fuel Jugs

Attachment 16009
    I have 3 of these I use at times to fill or more recently drain my fuel tank. As Steve said they are kind of heavy, but I like his idea of adding a valve to them. I have also used the replacement fuel can spouts available from amazon or my local farm store. They replace the spout and add a vent to the newer gas cans that don’t work.
    IMG_0600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I use 30 gallon steel drums and an air pressure driven transfer system from Harbor Freight. works well as long as I am at the hangar with the compressor. Have a regulator and use about 3-4 psi
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

We looked at the options of getting a larger fuel container and a pumping solution. However, that expense seemed like it would take a lot of fuel savings to overcome. Granted some here are talking about doing this out of necessity rather than simply fuel cost savings and that certainly can change the equation.

We've found that if we watch fuel costs in the area using www.100LL.com or something similar, we can reduce our fuel expense fairly well. First rule for us....buy fuel almost ANYWHERE besides our home airport because it's almost always cheaper.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb