Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Airbox seal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airbox seal

Im looking to start cleaning up my baffling and closing some holes for better cooling, and I'm curious what people are doing around the airbox. I bought the leather seal, but it doesn't fit with my cowl. I think it's a custom made cowl after the pa22/20 conversion, but I'm not sure. Any of you done anything else to seal the area around it? I had considered a quick drying type silicon sealant with suran wrap around the cowl metal to prevent it from sticking to it. Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Airbox seal

My advice: Go find a real certified mechanic and let him look at your issue and fix it. Don't put your leather seal, "suran wrap", "silicon sealant" or anything else on this airplane and ruin it. You are obviously in need of a real A & P mechanic to help your sort your issue. Just find the good A&P and ask him if you have an issue and how he would repair it to be as original as possible. The original design was good. Don't change it if you don't have an advanced degree in Aero/Thermodynamic/Mechanical/Aerospace/Design/Engineering and choose to do your Masters thesis in engine cooling or ram/air induction phenomenology. Leave it STOCK, or put it back STOCK and original. Just try to put it back like it was the day it left the factory and you will be so happy. You will be so happy. Trust me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite as hopeless as you've come to conclude. The leather seal WAS stock. My cowl however, is not stock, and to take it back to stock, id need a big hole for a nose gear that I have no intention of putting back on. Im not friends with any mechanics that care to go look at my plane and offer their suggestions without charging me for it. I'd much rather get some great ideas that have worked for people who operate these planes, and take that information to my mechanic for execution. During the annual, the only advice i got from the IA was to cover the hole left in the nose bowl by the new starter. And among other things, that's what I intend to do. The airbox remains a point of ingress for ram Air into the lower cowl, and this impedes the creation of an air pressure difference with the upper cowl. If anyone has any ideas, or experience with sealing a non standard airbox opening, is be very interested to hear what you've done. I understand some have used silicon baffle material for this, but I'd love first hand experience. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airbox seal

Post a picture of the gap, but Iím betting some baffle seal material would cover it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    My advice: Go find a real certified mechanic and let him look at your issue and fix it. Don't put your leather seal, "suran wrap", "silicon sealant" or anything else on this airplane and ruin it. You are obviously in need of a real A & P mechanic to help your sort your issue. Just find the good A&P and ask him if you have an issue and how he would repair it to be as original as possible. The original design was good. Don't change it if you don't have an advanced degree in Aero/Thermodynamic/Mechanical/Aerospace/Design/Engineering and choose to do your Masters thesis in engine cooling or ram/air induction phenomenology. Leave it STOCK, or put it back STOCK and original. Just try to put it back like it was the day it left the factory and you will be so happy. You will be so happy. Trust me.

WOW great response, not...

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was not sealed very well when we bought it so I added some aluminum strips and baffle material to seal it up. Its now sealed but looks ugly so I will rework it during the annual. Its a fairly simple process to make a seal with baffle material and aluminum strips as needed and pop rivet things together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoformudv View Post
    Mine was not sealed very well when we bought it so I added some aluminum strips and baffle material to seal it up. Its now sealed but looks ugly so I will rework it during the annual. Its a fairly simple process to make a seal with baffle material and aluminum strips as needed and pop rivet things together.
    When you find one of these planes for sale you take off $5K for the hack job "injuneering" under the cowling. Nobody argues either. jus sayin...I stand with my previous response. Get a real mechanic to look at your issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I used rubber baffeling to seal around my carburetor inlet. It was not very difficult. Although, I did not see any difference in performance including cooling.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    How do you know he isn't one just looking for ideas instead of reinventing the wheel?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks