Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Pulled and stripped the wings. Confirmed that yes the fabric is from the 60's.
    Removed the wingtip bow, braces, last rib, and the nose rib next to it in preparation for the wingtip mod. In part of the overhaul process I pulled all the metal hardware off and will be sandblasting and painting all of it.
    The control surface hinges had considerable corrosion behind them. A couple will need the aluminum reinforced due to how thin it got.
    A question I have is, does anyone know of something that cleans aluminum corrosion off good, like baking soda does on a battery? And aside from epoxy paint on the mating surface should I use anything between the metal and aluminum ?
    20191128_110830.jpeg20191127_175823.jpeg20191128_135649.jpeg20191128_135655.jpeg20191128_143302.jpeg20191128_165005.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

There are a lot of products to "sandblast" with. Baking soda does a good job on fragile parts. I don't have a answer how to deal with corrosion between parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you're making quick work of the tear down Jason.

How long are you planning for the plane to be apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you lay an MEK soaked rag on the skins and allow it to dry you can peel the rag off with a lot of the glue, paint etc. I acid etch the aluminum with a red hand Scotch Brite pad and it cleans the aluminum well. I prime the steel with epoxy primer and then catalyzed polyurethane (Ranthane) paint. I also prime the aluminum with a light coat of epoxy primer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    Wow, you're making quick work of the tear down Jason.

How long are you planning for the plane to be apart?
    As short as possible. Realistically it will probably be mid to late January.
    The tear down is the easy part.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Alumaprep 33 on my Vag wings to remove the corrosion followed by Alodine. Probably not available in California due to Proposition 65.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...iABEgLRJvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, we have some. A lot of things that are required due to FAR's stating it must be used to comply with regulations are available. A lot of the chemicals in fabric recovering are exempt that way.
    I'll be using the alumiprep and alodine before epoxy primer and paint.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity I looked up the 337 on the FAA CD (logs are missing from mid 80's back) of when the aircraft was covered. It was covered on February 8, 1967 in Corona; which is right next door to where I (and the plane) am now. Kinda crazy how the plane managed to come round full circle to get the wings recovered again.

Spent the entire day Friday sandblasting the metal parts. The glue that was used to hold the felt on the fuel tank straps had to be stripped off because the sandblaster wouldn't touch it.
    After the paint and crud was off; I found a crack on a flap bell crank. Made me a little nauseous when I saw that, thinking of all the full flap hard slip landings I did. And had that decided to let go at one of those times...
    Saturday I hung everything, prime and painted it all with epoxy primer and paint.
    While waiting on paint to set I cleaned up the left wing with MEK and a scotch brite. It has zinc chromate on it that is flaking off. Once all assembled I intend to paint the whole thing with a light coat of epoxy primer.
    All the screw holes in the false spar I tapped closed with a couple hammers. That way I can reuse the screw holes without stripping out.20191129_151939.jpeg20191130_091920.jpeg20191129_152848.jpeg20191130_102218.jpeg20191130_114333.jpeg20191130_154252.jpeg20191130_174318.jpeg20191130_174352.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have found a couple of cracked bellcranks over the years. Usually from wronf astener and lack of washers being installed and they tightened down to much.