Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart Wingtip Install/ wing overhaul.

Installed the aileron cables and pulleys. Then the flap mechanisms. After which I installed the skin that goes behind the fuel tanks, then pliobonded the felt to the tank straps. 50' roll from McMaster Carr was less than what univair wanted to two pieces and I think I have enough to do another set of wings.
    Installed nutplates for the fuel tank covers. Here's a trick I learned recently. We all know that drilling a large hole in thin sheet with a twist drill leaves a triangular hole. A couple layers of cloth laid over the pilot hole then drill through the cloth and through the workpiece leaves a beautifully round hole. Checked to make sure the hinges where lined up properly before riveting them in their original location. Also made the addition of oversize inspection holes as I've seen Steve do in another thread. They'll resolve two issues; wing root drumming tearing inspection rings loose, and actually being able to get in there to work.
    And finally got the tanks in and the wings are ready for fabric!
    I have some things on the fuselage to do before I start wrapping the wings: ads-b refit windshield, paint boot and engine coals. As well as wire in switches for all the new lights. 20200201_154139.jpeg20200202_113440.jpeg20200202_083031.jpeg20200202_165551.jpeg20200202_165612.jpeg20200202_183706.jpeg20200202_153838.jpeg20200203_182113.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jason, looks great. try a Unibit, they make beautiful round holes of any size. I never found a felt at McMaster Carr that allowed the tank to sit down like I liked. I was going through the Vagabond Drawing CD one day and found the specification on the felt that Piper used. The source I found for it a had a minimum order so I posted here and on SuperCub.org and got enough people also wanting some to place an order. My wife sews the socks to go around the tank rods as well. I sell it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if I have an issue getting the tank lids to fit I'll know why and get some from you. I wrapped a strip around the tank bay strut and tied the ends off with rib lacing string in lieu of the socks.
    I do have unibits and they do work awesome, but the rag trick is great if you have a specific size or no unibit handy. It really blew my mind how well it worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will have to try that, my machinist friend told me a similar trick but with tape maybe. Interesting for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

So much for refitting this windshield...20200204_180859.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Such a bummer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I can relate, several times actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Reinstalled all the metal parts. Someone didnt take a picture of how the aileron pulleys where mounted. Thankfully I have the drawings cd.
    After squaring the wings I started on the actual wingtip mod. With the pieces cut to size and shape I riveted the splice plates on to them, then onto the end of the spar. What you see here is all they call out for splicing. For comparison I held up the old spar cap strips that where cut off. Not a lot of extra wing, just more full chord size wing.
    Install of the full size rib is straightforward, then you use some of the old braces to brace the bottom of the rib as the fabric changes direction there.
    Only thi.g I dont care for is that the drag strut sits in the shop ends of the splice rivets. Attachment 16101Attachment 16102Attachment 16103Attachment 16104Attachment 16105Attachment 16106Attachment 16107Attachment 16108Attachment 16109Attachment 16110Attachment 16111Attachment 16112Attachment 16113

What did you use for the radius on the spar at the tip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I measured 1/4" at the center, then used a piece of welding rod flexed to get the arc. Marked it, cut it with a bandsaw, then cleaned it up on a belt sander.20191207_180725.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    So much for refitting this windshield...20200204_180859.jpeg

I always try to pick the hottest day of the year out in the sun to do windshield installations. I’ve actually installed a number of Cessna windshields without taking the lower channel off, but it better be pushing 100 degrees to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk