Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt rudder cables wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Colt rudder cables wanted

Need 2 rudder cables for Piper PA-22 108 Part number 11641-07 or U11641-007 NOS or used if in great shape Cell 920-946-3651

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Colt rudder cables wanted

If you know an A&P, they should have access to a nicopress tool. They are easy to make. You'll want the mechanic to check and sign off the work anyway.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If you know an A&P, they should have access to a nicopress tool. They are easy to make. You'll want the mechanic to check and sign off the work anyway.
    Thanks, my I.A. wants to see certified cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colt rudder cables wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Modra View Post
    Thanks, my I.A. wants to see certified cables.
    Find another IA! No reason not to fabricate them locally. If you really want ones with an 8130-3, buy them from Univair.

I certainly wouldn’t waste time installing used cables, and if your IA wants certified, then how would he know if the used cable was certified?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually had new ones made by McFarlane Aviation, using the old cables as a sample. They fit and work perfectly, and even came with strength test sheet, but my I.A. claims it is not the correct type of cable. I am located in S.Eastern Wisconsin in the EAA Chapter 1158 Hanger (KETB) Recently restored PA 22-108. If anyone is interested, or knows of anyone in doing the inspection, please contact me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Modra View Post
    I actually had new ones made by McFarlane Aviation, using the old cables as a sample. They fit and work perfectly, and even came with strength test sheet, but my I.A. claims it is not the correct type of cable. I am located in S.Eastern Wisconsin in the EAA Chapter 1158 Hanger (KETB) Recently restored PA 22-108. If anyone is interested, or knows of anyone in doing the inspection, please contact me.
    Did he tell you what was incorrect? If it is galvanized or stainless steel aircraft cable, the correct diameter, professionally made and installed (by the aircraft owner is OK) and signed off by an A&P. How would the IA know it is not correct?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The original was probably 1x19 cable and McFarland probably used 7x19which is perfectly acceptable. The 7x19 is more flexible than the 1x19 for the rudder cables but Aircraft Spruce will no longer carry 1x19 after they run out of current stock. A friend made some cables using 1x19 and said that stuff is hard to bend around and swedge nicropresses on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the information, In the next reply, I think Steve Pierce has once again, provided the correct answer. I would like to find an I.A. knowledgeable on these Pipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Steve, I will pass this on to my currant I.A. I would really like to finish this inspection, but he only does it part time, and, I only see him a few hours a month. The local FBO has no interest in inspections on older aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much of an IA if he cant/wont make a cable. ……….. would probly stroke out if you opened up a mag!