Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: old drilled holes in fuse. tubing ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default old drilled holes in fuse. tubing ?

Have the rear lower longeron tubes cut to graft in new ones in the rear. decided to make an adapter to 'apply some compressed air to see if there seemed to be any holes or cracks leaking air out all the way to the firewall.
    Immeditely I could hear a leak---- a small drilled hole near the rear of the rear seat area. Maybe a #6 or 8.

Anyone know offhand if this is supposed to be there? or shouls I weld it shut to keep the atmospheric moisture from entering ? Looks like its near the rear of the rear seat area where the floor sheet metal lays. There seems to be NO matching hole in the floor sheet...… I would think you would want that airtight--- just like a sealed strut...….

(1953 pa22/20)

Thoughts ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: old drilled holes in fuse. tubing ?

There is a splice right in that area, is it before or after the splice? Not that it matters. I would weld it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of holes in the lower tubing in the rear cabin area from people drilling extra screw holes for carpeting. They got welded shut as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I too had numerous tubing holes for the floor boards that had to be welded up. I don’t remember any factory holes in the tubing.

Post Thanks / Like

Could also be a good opportunity to squirt a little corrosion x or the like into the tube to help mitigate any corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app