Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rudder w/Brake pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rudder w/Brake pedals

It does not have the “T”.

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet then is to fabricate the rudder pedals from the drawing. They very seldom come up for sale that I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The hardest thing I see is forming the 4” radius in the 5/8X.058 wall tubing.
    That is a four foot radius not a four inch radius, correct? The drawing shows 1020 steel which may be hard to find.

Steve had a related post in the past about using a Harbor freight tubing bender https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Do you think that it could get the 4' radius in 4130 5/8" X .058" tubing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    That is a four foot radius not a four inch radius, correct? The drawing shows 1020 steel which may be hard to find.

Steve had a related post in the past about using a Harbor freight tubing bender https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Do you think that it could get the 4' radius in 4130 5/8" X .058" tubing?
    Per drawing 11726, it is a 4” radius (8” diameter) not a 4’ radius. The radius is to the centerline of the tube. The material call out of the tube is 5/8X.058 wall SAE 1025 material. I haven’t found any 1025 tubing. 1020 is available as is 4130. For the purpose I think 1020 would be more than adequate, not much difference in the properties of 1020 and 1025. 4130 would be fine, but much harder to cold form. Doing the radius hot wouldn’t be a problem for any of the above alloys, just a little harder to tool up for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We made this Foker Tri-Plane rudder with this home made roller I use to form 3/8" Piper channel.
    100_1767.JPG

Piper Channel Former.jpg