Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EGT and CHT questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EGT and CHT questions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I will have to see if I have any photos but think ahead, take into account installing the clamp and access to the screw on the clamp, clearance between the probe and bottom spark plugs and leads, wire routeing.
    Yep, doing all that. Googled up a bunch of pics - lots of RV build pics out there. Most show the EGT probes located about 3" down. Placing them at 1.5" as suggested by EI would put them near spark plug leads and oil return line fittings, etc. I'm liking the 3" location. Do you use any sheathing over the wire leads? Looks like valve cover screws are good locations for strain relief clamp locations. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    CamTom12 I'm curious about the pair of braided lines at the lower edge of your picture here. Do those contain your EGT and CHT probe wires? If so, what is the sheathing material? Do you have any other pictures of the mounting and routing of the wires or, where you placed your EGT probes in the exhaust pipes? thanks.
    Not my plane in the picture, but those look to be ignition leads.

I didnít add any additional wire covering that didnít come with my engine monitor. Mine came with some sleeves that cover the wire junctions, but thatís all.

Steve nailed it, before you drill any holes, make sure your clamps will be accessible and your cowling wonít rub. Iíd recommend running your wires before you drill as well, make sure theyíll line up in your proposed location. Just like anything else, measure 3 times and cut once. Spend more time in the setup and the actual assembly will go much smoother.

I ran my CHT wires along the top of my induction tubes, below the cylinders, and I ran my EGT wires outside of the exhaust stacks. They joined up behind the engine and passed through the firewall at the same point.

These pictures arenít the best, hope they help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Not my plane in the picture, but those look to be ignition leads.

I didn’t add any additional wire covering that didn’t come with my engine monitor. Mine came with some sleeves that cover the wire junctions, but that’s all.

Steve nailed it, before you drill any holes, make sure your clamps will be accessible and your cowling won’t rub. I’d recommend running your wires before you drill as well, make sure they’ll line up in your proposed location. Just like anything else, measure 3 times and cut once. Spend more time in the setup and the actual assembly will go much smoother.

I ran my CHT wires along the top of my induction tubes, below the cylinders, and I ran my EGT wires outside of the exhaust stacks. They joined up behind the engine and passed through the firewall at the same point.

These pictures aren’t the best, hope they help.

Thanks for the pics and explanation! It really helps. I see you have automotive type spark plugs and leads. I have the airplane type and they are bulkier, but this gives me a better idea of what to do, and it's actually simpler than I was imagining.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Thanks for the pics and explanation! It really helps. I see you have automotive type spark plugs and leads. I have the airplane type and they are bulkier, but this gives me a better idea of what to do, and it's actually simpler than I was imagining.
    I love E-AB!

And glad I could help!