Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Advice on drying out wet headliner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on drying out wet headliner

We’ve just had snow and rain, and since my Tri Pacer is outside the water seeped into my cockpit via the headliner. Any advice on how to dry it out and prevent mold and mildew?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice on drying out wet headliner

Can you place an electric space heater in it for a couple of hours? Then purchase covers to cover the top fuselage and wing root section?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

or a heat lamp?

Post Thanks / Like

Increased air flow to allow the moisture to escape. i.e. A big ass fan blowing thru with doors & windows open as much as possible. If the temps aren't cooperating then also adding a heater into the equation.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-New-Wa...72.m2749.l2649

I run 4' of 3" scatt hose off the outlet and its a pretty awesome combo. For 150 bucks you get hot DRY clean air to pump under the cowling or into the door. Last week I dug the plane out from a 15" snow dump. Temp was 19 deg. in about 20 minutes the yokes were warm to the touch and the windows/skylight was clear of snow and ice and dry. Way better than using the red dragon preheater that puts a lot of moisture in the cockpit not to mention, burns your eyes because the burn changes as the propane bottles freeze up etc.

It pulls about 5 amps when the glow plug is firing to light it off, after a couple minutes the draw is less than an amp to run the fan. I use this lil bugger to heat a lot more than just the plane. Works awesome for winter camping as well.

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff might work after you've gone through whatever preliminary drying steps you take:
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...SABEgJL1vD_BwE
    I've heard of folks using these in float planes that spend summer on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a used BMW z3 I was fixing--- the previous owner left it outside and the carpet along with the 1 inch thick glued on foam
    pad on the back were floating in water. I took the front seats out to do wiring repair -- so I propped up the carpet up off the floor- vacked the loose water off the floor.... then I took a harbor freight yellow axial fan (about 10 inches)-- coupled it up to a clothes dryer flexible duct hose (cheap scat hose) and stuffed the hose back in the crack between the carpet and floor. let that blow dry air in there for about 4 or 5 days. That got it dry finally. (the BMW carpet /padding design is an abortion BTW-) I only ran it while I was nearby in case of fire. I mover the hose around several time and the propped the carpet
    in different spot as it went.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone. I don’t have access to power on the ramp. So I managed to find a short term spot next to an outlet. I put a small room heater inside and sprayed the wet inside fabric down with a disinfectant and deodorizer. Ahh the sweet smell of Lavender.
    Smooth air and clear skies,

-Alana