Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Max takeoff crosswind component for Tri-Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Max takeoff crosswind component for Tri-Pacer?

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Hi Troy,
    Yeah, I'm pretty confident in landing in fairly strong crosswinds. I use 1 notch of flaps or no flaps with a windward wing low approach. I've done many of those at my old airport in Marina CA (KOAR) where it was very common to have 40 to 50 degrees at 15 to 25 knots and gusting higher, generating crosswind components of 10 to 18 knots and higher. They're not fun for sure.

My real issue is taking off. I asked the question just to get a feel for what other shortwing pilots limits are on takeoff, and because it seems so many accidents or incidents occur due to crosswinds while on the ground during takeoff, or just after landing. I mean, even Draco had a takeoff problem, right?

We moved to the FL 18 months ago and now I'm flying out of Titusville FL (KTIX) which is a towered airport. The winds here on the central coast of FL can be any direction one day to next in winter and our runways are 18/36 and 9/27 so it has a lot of flexibility, until you get runway 27 with winds 230 at 17, gusting to 25 like the other day. The controllers keep up with the shifting winds pretty well and I've actually been taxiing to one runway when the controller changed me to another runway midway across the field. You can't put a wing low when you take off, and I can feel the wing lifting the main which introduces some "roll-steer" in the trike so my feet are really busy when it starts gusting. The wings are level and all you have is full aileron and rudder and it's just squirrely as I can feel the wind side trying to fly. Our runways here are long and wide so when faced with this in the future, I'm going to try the diagonal departure like some have mentioned, and combine that with a neutral elevator as was recommended.
    In your OP you reference pushing the nose down and rolling out ailerons. I would not hold the nosewheel down. If you are trimmed appropriately, the nosewheel should ride comfortably. I hold max aileron until the downwind wing starts to lift, then roll out only enough aileron to give me a one-tire, wing low attitude, same as the landing moment except accelerating instead of decelerating. The chaos you refer to sounds like it might relate to the actions you are taking if you are really shoving the nose down and rolling out ailerons without waiting for the downwind wing (and tire) to lift slightly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Max takeoff crosswind component for Tri-Pacer?

This one time back in band camp...skyvan with maybe one ton of freight on board...the wind was better than 30 knots at 90 degrees to the runway. He landed fast...the nose wheel was creating a rooster tail of gravel spray keeping it straight down the runway. A skyvan is like a big rectangle box...lots of side area... I’ve always thought tripacers would need a good amount of nose down trim and the yoke pushed all the way in to keep it straight while pulling the brake handle? And to clarify I think about the wind direction when ever I’m outside...always point the nose of my vehicles into the wind....the average wind speed in Platinum is 13.1 miles per hour...and calm during the summer....almost always have a 15 knot crosswind when the windsock is indicating winds better than 20..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 12-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    And don’t forget you can always go on a diagonal to reduce the cross wind component. There is nothing that says you have to follow the centerline!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And, once you cross the "hold" line you are on the runway. Take a diagonal from way back if you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I put aileron in prior to applying power in strong cross wind and adjust as needed through out the roll out.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious if you’ve figured out the takeoffs in your ship......

Post Thanks / Like

Yes thanks. Realized I wasn’t using enough aileron initially. Now I go to full aileron first and keep the nose planted and then let it off as speed builds. Much better.