Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Wonder how rhe piston cracked in storage
    The engine apparently did have test run time. Piston was cracked around the bottom oil ring groove. From the inside, it looks like maybe a casting flaw, but extends into the groove. Since we haven’t checked dimensions yet, could be a standard size piston in an oversized cylinder, but that’s just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I flew my 0-235 Clipper for 4 years. Flew it to SnF ( 550miles) twice with 3 adults (total people wt.420#) and OSH 3 times with two of us at 1650 lbs. I considered it to be a very capable airplane.

The only time I flew a trip with less than full tanks was out of my grass strip with 50 foot trees; only 18 gallons. Yes the O320 was a big improvement. I helped Steve ferry an 0-235 Clipper from Evergreen, OR to Texas, no issues. Of course between the two us we total about 300 lbs.

On the other hand with the O-320 at full gross weight of 1800 lbs AirVenture bound the trees which are now 60 feet are not an issue.

I guess perceptions vary depending on what airplane you regularly flew prior to the Clipper.
    I would like to go an O-320, but I don’t see that in the budget right now. The PA-16 with the O-235 is a very capable airplane. You just need to work within the limits. I live on the east coast, so I don’t have to contend with high altitude airports for the most part. I suspect 80-90% of my flying will be by myself, maybe 5% with my wife and maybe 5% with my kids and grandkids. I’ve flown a lot of underpowered airplanes and understand those limitations. Believe me, I know it won’t perform like my Howard did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Think I found my Clipper an engine, if I can find a buyer for my 1000 hour 235-C1.. if I can get 7 grand for it maybe this guy will accept my 8000 offer for this o320, my Clipper dressed out at 1060 empty, with a good climb prop and this 320-A1A it should handle these hot summer days much better. Tired of paying gold prices for O235 parts when o320 parts are aluminium priced
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it's better than the one I got! (That wouldn't be too hard....)

Post Thanks / Like

Think I found my Clipper an engine, if I can find a buyer for my 1000 hour 235-C1.. if I can get 7 grand for it maybe this guy will accept my 8000 offer for this o320, my Clipper dressed out at 1060 empty, with a good climb prop and this 320-A1A it should handle these hot summer days much better. Tired of paying gold prices for O235 parts when o320 parts are aluminium priced
    My goal is 870 empty for mine. That’s with the O235 and a 76AM-2 prop. The last weight was about 910, but I’m going with an EarthX battery, L40 alternator, Skytech lightweight starter, no insulation or headliner, and Sutton exhaust. Dope finish with tapes only where the Piper drawings show and uncertified lightweight fabric on the interior.

Going to the O-320, you gain 5 lbs for the prop, and 11 lbs in just the dry weight of the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

With the 150 horse engine in that light of a plane you would have one heck of a sleeper in a STOL competition, throw Ferguson booster tips on it and you would give some super cub pilots a run. Once you have it all finished and fly it awhile you will see why people go with a 320, cost of parts and limited performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With the 150 horse engine in that light of a plane you would have one heck of a sleeper in a STOL competition, throw Ferguson booster tips on it and you would give some super cub pilots a run. Once you have it all finished and fly it awhile you will see why people go with a 320, cost of parts and limited performance.
    Not been my experience. Gets out great but short wing and no flaps it still lands fast. Great airplane just not my pick as a STOL airplane. Do all that to a Pacer and you have a decent priced STOL capable airplane. I love the control harmony of the stock Clipper wing and controls. Best slipping airplane ever. I light weight Clipper, solo with an O-235 and 6 gallons of gas is a lot of fun just playing around.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's been a long time since I updated this thread. Was out working on the airplane yesterday, got all the controls out, the firewall off, and almost everything else off the fuselage than can come off. Welded in the tube for the front seat belt attach fitting. Had Clyde make up a custom panel for me, drawing attached. panel.jpg
    Picked up a set of Aero M1800 skis and have a request for a Field Approval in for them.
    Still working on the Gross Weight Increase STC, but everything has been slow going. Work has been busy and with COVID, there have been a lot of homebuilts finished up that need airworthiness certificates, seems like I'm out doing that more than working on my own stuff! I'm sure i've done more than listed, but don't remember right now.