Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Why not use a Casper labs oil filter adapter on the back of the engine? It eliminates extra hoses and weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I’m sure it’s ok. With the Sutton exhaust, lightweight starter, B&C L40 alternator in place, I’ve eliminated something on the order of 46.6 lbs coming out forward of the firewall, and even with the Airwolf oil filter, only putting back about 37.1 lbs. Moving the battery up front reduces the length of wire going to the starter, improving starter efficiency, and reducing weight as well.

Putting the battery up front let’s me get rid of the battery, the battery box, all the brackets that hold the battery box, the box with the starter switch, and the supporting brackets, reducing weight in the cabin. The PA-16 has the one piece seat making access to the original battery location problematic as well.

The last weight and balance that was done on this airplane back in the 1950’s showed an empty weight of 907 lbs. If my estimates are correct, I’m hoping to come out with an empty weight in the 870 to 875 range when I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine’s still on the firewall, just on the other side of it.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea. I was under the panel working on adding the rear seats to the intercom, so ignore the wires/cable you see hanging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Why not use a Casper labs oil filter adapter on the back of the engine? It eliminates extra hoses and weight.
    Should have looked at that before I got the air wolf. Already spent the money though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Still haven’t decided on the panel yet, keep it stock,get a Clyde’s advanced panel, or design my own. Aircraft mission will be local flying, going from MD to CT, NY, TN, and FL to see kids and grandkids, and going to IA for AAA fly in. I’ve got a gtn327 transponder to put in where the old Belmont radio was, but nothing else yet. I figure a skyBeacon, and have field approval for a skyLight on the right side. Unless a right wing tank drops in my lap, the nose tank will be staying so space in front of the panel is limited. The uAvionix AV20 and AV30 look interesting. The AV20 could go where the old safe flight stall indicator was in the stock panel, or a pair of AV30s would go nicely in Clyde’s advanced panel, but that’s more weight, and cost and still wouldn’t get to IFR legal. I already have a field approval for heated pitot and late PA-22 style static system, just haven’t decided if I’ll go that route.I’ve already got all the parts, but again more weight.

Decisions decisions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a pretty simple panel that I'm happy with: electric attitude, pneumatic airspeed and altimeter, flush-mounted Garmin 495, iCom a200 and kt-76A, ps intercom, and an all-in-one engine monitor.

If I were ever to end up doing a panel revamp, I would probably do the following: single AV-30 (attitude, airspeed, altimeter), trig round radio and txpdr, engine monitor. I'd put them all towards the left side of the panel and leave the rest of the space for an iPad, probably flush-mounted.

Those are just simple VFR panels, but pretty light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I should have an extra right tank if you need one. Well worth getting rid of the nose tank, easier to balance fuel load for in flight rigging and better panel layout without the nose tank behind to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

When mine went in for rebuild at Steve's AC, I had the cub doctor provide a panel as a "1953" model should have had.
    Someone prior installed the later panel in there and I wanted it to look more original.
    I am spoiled in that all my solid IFR has been in multi-engine aircraft or single engine with an exit seat.
    With the panel re-do, I went with a transponder and a Garmin 300XL. Figured that would get me out of trouble if
    I needed to get an IFR flight plan to get in somewhere.
    If money were no issue a newer Garmin discussed in another thread that has the comm/GPS/nav would be nice.
    IFR in my area requires being above 10-12,000' and if you are in IMC conditions, good chance you will
    worry about ice or moderate turbulence.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I have the electric turn and bank and the vacuum DG (with heading bug indicator) laying in my hangar. I took them out when I had the ASPEN PFD installed. Let me know if you need them.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I also like the uAvionix AV30's and signed up with a deposit to get one once
    FAA certified for our aircraft. That will replace my present vacuum attitude.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I have the electric turn and bank and the vacuum DG (with heading bug indicator) laying in my hangar. I took them out when I had the ASPEN PFD installed. Let me know if you need them.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I won’t have a vacuum system, so the DG wouldn’t help. The T&B could be tempting. I’ll let you know if I go that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk