Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, so figured I’d give an update.

We’re getting some work done on the house, so the wing is on hold for the time being. I had to move it where it isn’t really accessible. I’m also at the point where I need to start playing the fittings and I need several gallons of distilled water and guess what isn’t in the stores!

Moved out to the garage and started on the fuselage. Have almost all the fabric off and the tubing looks pretty good, just light surface corrosion. Two areas that have corrosion that I’ve noted is the lower tube in the front door, and the bottom of the right rear window channel. I did find one repair on an upper longeron back in the tail.

Next step is making up the fitting for the idler pulleys for the double groove trim pulley system so I can tack that in and get Steve’s jig back to him. After that, cut and fit the X brace, the tube and fittings for the front center seat belt anchor, and replace the cross tube where the rear door post is so I have something for a rear seat center seat belt anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 04-11-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 serial 16-13 restoration

Had some time to work on the Clipper today. Pulled the door skins, and the bottom of the front door was like Swiss cheese. Inserted a piece of square tubing into the lower 3” of the front tube, and spliced about 8” of the lower tube. Got to practice my TIG welding on that thin wall tubing. Kept dipping the tungsten. Better to practice on stuff that’s hard, but not really structural!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't realize it's been almost a year since I posted to this thread! Last week I dropped my engine (O-235-C1 original to the airplane) off at an overhaul shop. It was overhauled back in 1995 and never run, and I have no records of the overhaul. They are going to open it up and verify there isn't any corrosion on the cam and lifters, do the magnaflux on all the steel parts, and then if all looks good, put it back together with new rod bolts, new oil pump, and whatever else it needs.

When I got the project, it came with TriPacer tail feathers. I traded them for the correct ones, then had another set of the correct ones given to me. I'll pick the best of the two sets.

Managed to get a new 76AM2-52 prop, now I have both a 48" pitch and a 52" pitch prop!

I used Steve Pierce's trim jig to weld in the fittings for the dual groove trim system. Been cleaning up stuff and otherwise just making slow progress. Sure wish life didn't get in the way of working on airplanes!

Post Thanks / Like

Now would be the time to spend a little more and get an o320, unless you will be flying alone all the time. My o235c1 performs decent with half tanks and just me, but learned never to load to gross on a summer evening, elnoclimbo.. well 150.. 200 fpm. I have not had the opportunity to fly an o320 Clipper but imagine it must be super fun with only an hour of fuel and no pax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Still haven’t decided on the panel yet, keep it stock,get a Clyde’s advanced panel, or design my own. Aircraft mission will be local flying, going from MD to CT, NY, TN, and FL to see kids and grandkids, and going to IA for AAA fly in. I’ve got a gtn327 transponder to put in where the old Belmont radio was, but nothing else yet. I figure a skyBeacon, and have field approval for a skyLight on the right side. Unless a right wing tank drops in my lap, the nose tank will be staying so space in front of the panel is limited. The uAvionix AV20 and AV30 look interesting. The AV20 could go where the old safe flight stall indicator was in the stock panel, or a pair of AV30s would go nicely in Clyde’s advanced panel, but that’s more weight, and cost and still wouldn’t get to IFR legal. I already have a field approval for heated pitot and late PA-22 style static system, just haven’t decided if I’ll go that route.I’ve already got all the parts, but again more weight.

Decisions decisions!

I just looked at my panel, it looks about like the shape of the CubDoctor Clipper panel, except mine is taller 10 in. from top center to bottom edge, the sticks clear by a couple inches, not sure might be more. Plenty room for a six pack and breaker switch panel and throttle mixture along the bottom.

My panel is similar in size to this one at Sarasota avionics, but doesn't have the dropdowns at the sides, those look like knee catchers, and I have a full radio stack and six pack, I think its perfect size and looks good. This one at sarasota looks odd with only G5 and airspeed and altimeter, I would have to add something to that, would drive me nuts looking at that bare space, and the throttle up in the middle instead of along the bottom edge, that must feel strange.

Last edited by PA-16; 01-18-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my panel, custom from Clyde. It will have electric T&B all the way to the left, then altimeter, airspeed, and two AV-30s on top of each other. Right side will be original tach, oil pressure/oil temp, and a 60 amp ammeter (I’ll have a 40 amp alternator.

Haven’t finalized what nav I’m going to use. I’m hoping Uavionix can get the AV-30 certified as a real HSI, then I will likely get a GNS430W and Mount it center top (there is just enough room on top of the gas tank). I already have a GNC300XL and 2 1/4 indicator and annunciations, but the STC for that requires an additional Nav source for legal IFR. Decisions divisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Engine tear down was good! Only issue, they found a cracked piston, so I’ll be looking for a set of pistons.just need to confirm dimensions. I’m hoping to find some new old stock. New ones are unreal price wise. Unfortunately O-235-C1 parts are getting hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how rhe piston cracked in storage

Post Thanks / Like

You will like the O235 for about 6 months, than you will realize you want an O320, thats me anyway. Bought the stc but still looking for an engine, the Clipper with an O235 is just a dog with more than 12 gallons of fuel and 170lb pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew my 0-235 Clipper for 4 years. Flew it to SnF ( 550miles) twice with 3 adults (total people wt.420#) and OSH 3 times with two of us at 1650 lbs. I considered it to be a very capable airplane.

The only time I flew a trip with less than full tanks was out of my grass strip with 50 foot trees; only 18 gallons. Yes the O320 was a big improvement. I helped Steve ferry an 0-235 Clipper from Evergreen, OR to Texas, no issues. Of course between the two us we total about 300 lbs.

On the other hand with the O-320 at full gross weight of 1800 lbs AirVenture bound the trees which are now 60 feet are not an issue.

I guess perceptions vary depending on what airplane you regularly flew prior to the Clipper.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-22-2021 at 02:59 PM.