Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: AMOC for re-sealing struts

Post Thanks / Like

Default AMOC for re-sealing struts

For those that have struts that some foll decided to drill them for fairings and door stops there is hope!

I just got an advance copy of my AMOC that allows me to inspect, treat, and reseal my struts to eliminate the repeditive inspections. If anyone wants help in applying for a similar AMOC for your aircraft, let me know and I'll be glad to give you some guidance.

appvl letter_ 7A0-19-15052.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AMOC for re-sealing struts

Nice work.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I am most certainly interested. Four hours with a fabric tester kills my hands every other year. Brian heidt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be clear this is an Alternate Means of Compliance for sealed Univair or Airframes struts that have been drilled by someone ignorant to the AD and knowledge to keep the struts sealed? It does not apply to original Piper struts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default AMOC for re-sealing struts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    To be clear this is an Alternate Means of Compliance for sealed Univair or Airframes struts that have been drilled by someone ignorant to the AD and knowledge to keep the struts sealed? It does not apply to original Piper struts?
    Steve, that is correct. My Clipper project came with a set of Univair struts (large fork) previously sealed struts that someone drilled for fairings and door catches. The AMOC is to have them inspected, treated for corrosion, then TIG the holes and that makes them sealed struts again. I still need to get the Field Approval to weld the bushing for the fair leads to use them on the PA-16 (that went in the mail yesterday) as the front struts are actually PA-20/22 struts. I hadnít heard of anyone getting an AMOC for this in the past, so I figured it would be good info for the group.

This would not apply to original struts. I think Jenson had an STC to seal the original struts, but they still had the small forks. Not shire if anyone else had an STC to seal the originals and put the larger forks on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 01-07-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Atlee Dodge and Jensen had an STC to seal the original struts and modify them for larger forks. The problem was they never got the repetitive punch test done away with although it was required every 5 years vs 2 if memory serves me correctly.