Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Tri-Pacer couple of basic questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to Tri-Pacer couple of basic questions

I never saw the need for flaps. All my landings are no flap. But then again I don’t have any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    I am a low time pilot that transitioned to my Tripacer. In a 172, as you flair and pull throttle you'll have a moment of float. The Tripe doesn't do that. You pull the throttle and it'll sink quick. But it only takes a couple landings to figure it out. I started using just half flaps for landing, but now like to use full flaps.
    I made a pretty detailed checklist in word format, so it's customizable to suit your preferences. I laminated it. Folds like a 3 part brochure. I can email it to you. Pm me with your email.
    I'd like to see your checklist in word format...PM to me?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I never saw the need for flaps. All my landings are no flap. But then again I don’t have any.
    I'm with ya! As I'm getting more comfortable in the Pacer, I feel like my landings are better with no flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I'd like to see your checklist in word format...PM to me?
    Thanks!
    I'll send you it. I'm still working through and making adjustments as on the 172 I start my list on the left and work my way around on the TP I start on the right and there are some items that aren't on the older plane. I laminated my first set but need to print a new set and do it again. Hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your new ride, I agree that you should go up do slow flight in different configurations to get a feel for it . You will find out that stalls are very docile not much more than buffet and sink. I recommend you practice power on, power off, with flaps and with out stalls and landings. Become proficient with them all. This will be your tool box; so whatever conditions you find yourself in , you can reach in to your toolbox and pull out the tool that works best for the situation. You will find that there are a lot of combinations to play with, and practice will make you a pro in the PA22. Get ready for a lot of fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2m51 View Post
    Good luck with your new ride, I agree that you should go up do slow flight in different configurations to get a feel for it . You will find out that stalls are very docile not much more than buffet and sink. I recommend you practice power on, power off, with flaps and with out stalls and landings. Become proficient with them all. This will be your tool box; so whatever conditions you find yourself in , you can reach in to your toolbox and pull out the tool that works best for the situation. You will find that there are a lot of combinations to play with, and practice will make you a pro in the PA22. Get ready for a lot of fun!
    100% agree but have to have it flying long enough to get there. Soon I hope as there were some issues found once we got the plane home that were missed. The weather has been stellar of course that should change about the day the plane gets put back into service.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club!

There are three things I tell new short wing owners, well bet there are a hundred but I'll stick with three.

-read the little POH until you memorize the basic V speeds and put them in your checklist. Become familure with all the info in that book.

- tire pressures are 22 psi for the mains and 17psi for the nose. It's in the POH. Put 32psi in all three and you might go for a ride.

- become familure with the fuel selector AD and why it is there. Take off and land on left tank only.

It would be a good idea to get an hour or two with a thousand hour plus Tripacer pilot. Back in the day old guy walks up to me and says he has over 7k in one and proceeds to line me out based on watching me work the pattern: gold!

Years ago I surveyed the pa22 NTSB reports, all of them, and after CFIT IMC the second most common was the milks tool ground loop event in the wind. Be aware, don't take this lightly, and use your controls according whilst maneuvering on the tarmac.

Oh my, this is five... I can go on and on. Learned a lot from some vary talented pilots and plenty from dumb luck

Oh and flaps, best to use them every time and get good at it, your life might depend on it some day. Up here in AK we are in the habit of playing the short field soft field game regardless of what we are rolling across keeps one sharp when it gets sticky or it's rough and you want to keep the gear attached. Fun times!

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Welcome to the club!

There are three things I tell new short wing owners, well bet there are a hundred but I'll stick with three.

-read the little POH until you memorize the basic V speeds and put them in your checklist. Become familure with all the info in that book.

- tire pressures are 22 psi for the mains and 17psi for the nose. It's in the POH. Put 32psi in all three and you might go for a ride.

- become familure with the fuel selector AD and why it is there. Take off and land on left tank only.

It would be a good idea to get an hour or two with a thousand hour plus Tripacer pilot. Back in the day old guy walks up to me and says he has over 7k in one and proceeds to line me out based on watching me work the pattern: gold!

Years ago I surveyed the pa22 NTSB reports, all of them, and after CFIT IMC the second most common was the milks tool ground loop event in the wind. Be aware, don't take this lightly, and use your controls according whilst maneuvering on the tarmac.

Oh my, this is five... I can go on and on. Learned a lot from some vary talented pilots and plenty from dumb luck

Oh and flaps, best to use them every time and get good at it, your life might depend on it some day. Up here in AK we are in the habit of playing the short field soft field game regardless of what we are rolling across keeps one sharp when it gets sticky or it's rough and you want to keep the gear attached. Fun times!

Rocket
    All good stuff.

#1 - Done however my speeds are different as I have the Stewart Tips and the am building my list of speeds for my checklist. Unfortunately it is on hold until the plane is back in the air
    #2 - Learned this trying to diagnose the shimmy issues which have been identfied
    #3 - I have an STC and modification to use either tank however still land and takeoff Left tank for precautionary measure. If I fly someone else's PA20/22 it keeps me on the same procedure as what is most common.
    #4 - Working on that with a very accomplished SWP pilot but waiting for the plane to get back in the air and certainly a great idea.
    #5 - Great idea and I will dig in there. Thank you for the suggestion. I have seen a lot of issues about the high stance and wind issues. I aborted a landing a few weeks back due to my comfort level of the ratty cross wind knowing that this is a fairly common. It's a good reminder for sure.

Keep them coming always good to learn from more experienced pilots and appreciate the knowledge transfer.