Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 hour nite-light

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 hour nite-light

Here's me on the ground in my hangar with my $900 D2 4-hour night light...Screen froze at 2000 ft at 89 MPH about 2 hours ago. I've tried multiple times to turn it off to no avail. I think I've had this Pocket Panel about a year.IMG_3455-1.JPG We'll see what Dynon says.

Tried to rotate this pic...gave up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 4 hour nite-light

Hi,

Must have got within radiation range of a Windoze box. Pulling the battery for a minute or so works for M$ stillborn stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comment, re: pulling the battery because of prox to Windows architecture rad zone. 'Cept there isn't a battery to readily pull and I only run iPad, iPhone (Apple) stuff. But, I know nothing quantitatively speaking about the near-field radiation environment of windows or apple electronics equipment or any limitations to proximity for other electronics, so if you want to elaborate on that, I'd welcome a comment. I'll tell you my iPad mini 4 is right next to the D2 on my panel. Please advise. Too, Instructions from Dynon say to never open the back cover or your warranty is void. So, I was figuring just let the battery run down for 4 hours or so and it'll go dead. We're now at 6 hours plus on the battery, and the screen is still very bright and readable. I still cannot turn it off using the button on top. For the record and casual interest, it's 10:47pm East Coast time and my best estimate of the time of screen freeze is around 4:40 pm EST. My wife was concerned about the heat and "bright light" given off from the D2 sitting on our dining table. She said, "I'm going to set this outside because I can feel the heat and the back of the case is budging a little." So you know, I tend to go with my wife's opinion when any questions arise to critical (safety) choices because of her superior instincts. We're both engineers, but she is less tolerant of risk than I. So, it goes outside on the back porch for now. The good news is, in our empirical one time failure monitoring "test", the battery has demonstrated it's good for 50% more life than advertised when a static screen condition exists. So, if you don't turn it off when you park at the FBO does that indicate it's gonna be good when you start up later? Maybe. Your results may vary. Or, is this condition way outside the design conditions of the electronic system, and my questions/comments are not reasonable? Apologies in advance to those who don't care about this stuff on a shortwing site. Right now - new mindset for me, I'm going to move my old vacuum driven AI back to prime location. I'm not sure the Pocket Panel qualifies for a backup unless you just really think about it in short term usage scenarios. My old vacuum (25 year old C-heritage) AI is working fine.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 01-07-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Humm, might be a heat issue? I had a cow (actually was made by Acer) net book that would freeze up in 105+ F (typical for May to September) ambient temperatures. I was using it at the time to try to diagnose efi issues on various forms of Siemens/ Bosh made controllers. Maybe try sticking it in the freezer?

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

The Windoze crack was just thrown out there. I'm on the third download attempting to grab a Windoze system reinstall file that takes 22 hours to finish. Most of these electronic toys we play with have keystrokes or button holds that shut them down after abnormalities, perhaps your equipment does too. When all else fails, this Kindle shuts down with the power button held in for a twelve count.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dyno...=silk&ie=UTF-8

.....my battery issue seems to have been resolved by just using a paperclip and pressing the reset button on the side......

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/30011-...y-replacement/
    Last edited by Jim; 01-08-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, how do you like the D2? I've been looking at a D3, but debating about doing the ADSB upgrade first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    Humm, might be a heat issue? I had a cow (actually was made by Acer) net book that would freeze up in 105+ F (typical for May to September) ambient temperatures. I was using it at the time to try to diagnose efi issues on various forms of Siemens/ Bosh made controllers. Maybe try sticking it in the freezer?

-Alana
    I did that! It was definitely very warm. Just before going to bed I thought what the hell, maybe cooling it down in the freezer will get it to "unfreeze" the screen. It worked. I pulled it out this morning, nice and cold and tried to turn it on, and it momentarily brought up the blue initial Dynon logo screen and then powered down. I've got it plugged into my computer via the mini-USB for charging and it's functioning again. I don't know when it ran out of battery but was at about 6 hours continuous on when I stuck it in the freezer. Now it's getting warm again charging. In the plane I've got the 5V Dynon-Only dedicated power plugged into the right side.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 01-08-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeerdedpilot View Post
    On a side note, how do you like the D2? I've been looking at a D3, but debating about doing the ADSB upgrade first.
    I recommend ADS-B in and out using my favorite pick, a Stratus 1090 ESG, first. Big numbers, easy to use intuitive controls, just a really nice piece. I use a cheap FlightBox for the ADS-B in function and it displays aircraft locations, etc. on my iPad mini using FlyQ via a bluetooth link. I may upgrade that and put in the Stratus 3 ADS-B receiver and receive plane power in the future. I have to remember to plug in the FlightBox battery during preflight because it sits on my hat shelf. I like the D2, but would obviously get the D3 now. I'm a fan of having all that info on one screen directly in front of me so I don't have to move my head around looking at a bunch of instruments. It increases my eyes outside time. The thing with shutting down with heat is a real issue for me, though. I never had that problem in CA, but now in FL my iPad has done it a couple times. My solution for that was to position a direct-air cooling SCAT hose blasting the back of the tablet from a small duct on the right side of my boot cowl, keeping it relatively cool. No shut down's since. But the D2 is flat mounted to the panel with an alu. blanking riveted in to cover the old AI hole. It gets no direct cooling air. I'm still inclined to put my old vaccum AI back in the spot and subordinate the D2 mount to the right side and only turn it on for a true backup. I wonder how warm the certified Dynon D10a or Garmin G5 gets? Might be irrelevant tho', since neither one has our planes on their approved list. I sent an email to Dynon about my D2 screen freeze and am waiting for a reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Dynon responded and said they provide no service or parts for the D2, but have a replacement program for 300 bucks to exchange it for a D3. I'm going to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m curious to know how old your D2 is that doesn’t get any support from the manufacturer?

It seems that advances in technology are moving so quickly today that it’s likely obsolete within 5 years or so.
    The $300 deal seems easiest for both you and the manufacturer.

Comments......
    Forrest Miller