Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB Out FARs

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADSB Out FARs

Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB Out FARs

That video misrepresents the reg by stating that it is required under shelves. That is not really true, ADSB is required inside the mode C veil, which by default makes it required beneath a Class B shelf, but there is no requirement for ADSB under a Class C shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Only above Class C airspace or in it. The change was including above Class C airspace.

(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;
    (2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;
    (3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 12-26-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch Troy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Since I’m outside of most of the rule airspace, I’m forgoing ADS-B out for the moment in hopes that the cost to equip comes down. When I do need to access rule airspace I can always use the online app, just need to apply for access during the preflight phase. I don’t think there’s a limit to using the app, per-se, just that there’s the 1 hour limit before you accessing rule airspace that you need to apply for access. Otherwise how would exempt aircraft without an electrical system access rule airspace?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think aircraft without electrical system are required to apply for access.
    As was before ADS-b, permission to access was not required to enter the veil
    of Class B, but just have to stay out of the Class B segments.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    I don't think aircraft without electrical system are required to apply for access.
    As was before ADS-b, permission to access was not required to enter the veil
    of Class B, but just have to stay out of the Class B segments.
    See post #3 above. 2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section.
    This exception goes on to say aircraft that have never had an electrical system are exemp from the ADSB-Out requirements.
    e) The requirements of paragraph (b) of this section do not apply to any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. These aircraft may conduct operations without ADS-B Out in the airspace specified in paragraphs (d)(2) and (d)(4) of this section. Operations authorized by this section must be conducted -
    (1) Outside any Class B or Class C airspace area; and
    (2) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport, or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever

Post Thanks / Like

still nice to show up on the fast guys ipad though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    still nice to show up on the fast guys ipad though...
    Yes, it would be, but I’m waiting for a solution that’s about half the cost of the least expensive solutions. It’s no good installing a $2k widget on a $500 mode C transponder.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy with my "$500" xpndr, GDL 82 works well, and for $300 I bought a spare "$500" transponder. ATC won't know the difference.
    A friend put one of the newer and not garmin ADS-B xpndrs in with the display for traffic built in for over $6k. I saw it, it looks nice but
    the display of traffic is to small. I prefer my ipad mini far better for watching for traffic
    "Progress is our most important problem"