Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Federal 1500 vs 1850

Post Thanks / Like

Default Federal 1500 vs 1850

Hi,
    I hope I am not starting a thread identical to an older one (I searched and could not find anything on this subject).
    My idea is to put skis on a PA16. The TCDS says Federal 1850 and 2000 are approved. These are not very easy to find, but I have found a few 1500. Today I was told the only difference between 1500 and 1850 is the teflon under them.
    Is that a fact? And do the plates on them have the same numbers? Because if they are the same I might as well use 1500..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Federal 1500 vs 1850

Even if that were the case, the data plate on the skis would still say A1500 which is not approved on the PA-16. Skis are TSO, or early ones were Type Certificated. It would likely take an STC to convert from an A1500 to an A1850.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Even if that were the case, the data plate on the skis would still say A1500 which is not approved on the PA-16. Skis are TSO, or early ones were Type Certificated. It would likely take an STC to convert from an A1500 to an A1850.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Maybe a field approval. If, the critical data on the 1500 is equal to the 1850.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to play in the snow do yourself a favor and use the largest ski you can. If you want to run smaller ones make sure you ahve lots of water for hydration, a good pair of snowshoes and a good shovel as you will spend time digging out and packing down a runway.