Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

I’m trying to find out if I’m required to have the “use right take level flight only” placard that’s listed in the PA20 TCDS

Adjacent to the fuel valve,
    (1) "Use right tank level flight only."
    Placard not required if aircraft revised per Piper Service Letter No. 145.

Service letter 145 states a bunch of the lower serial numbers need a piper kit to install an additional fitting.

My Pacer is 20-958.

I can’t find any information on what was included in this service kit. I’ve attached a picture of my right tank. It has a fitting an a fuel line next to the sump.

Can anyone give me more info on this kit? Is that fitting and fuel like what they were trying to install on the earlier pacers ?

Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

airworthiness directive

67-24-02 PIPER: Amdt. 39-464, as amended by amendment 39-885. Applies to Type PA-22 Aircraft Serial Nos. 22-1 to 22-7642 Inclusive.

Compliance required within the next 15 hours in service after December 6, 1969, the effective date of this AD as amended.

To forestall the possibility of engine fuel starvation during takeoff operations, install a placard on the right fuel quantity gauge, as shown in Piper Service Bulletin No. 250 dated June 2, 1967. The placard shall read: "Right Tank Level Flight Only With Less Than 1/3 Tank." A 1/3 tank capacity equals 6 gallons. Aircraft equipped with a single fuel quantity gauge must also have the placard installed.

The manufacturer's specifications and procedures identified and described in this directive are incorporated herein and made a part hereof pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 522(a)(1). All persons affected by this directive who have not already received these documents from the manufacturer may obtain copies upon request to Piper Aircraft Corporation, Lock Haven, Pa. 17745. These documents may also be examined at the Office of Regional Counsel, Eastern Region, J.F.K. International Airport and at FAA Headquarters, 800 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. A historical file on this AD which includes the incorporated material in full is maintained by the FAA at its headquarters in Washington, D.C., and at the Eastern Region in Jamaica, New York.

Effective August 17, 1967.

Revised December 6, 1969.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

not sure if this applies to a PA20

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I can think of that eliminates the use right tank below 1/3 in level flight only is Eddie Trimmer's fuel system STC.

Also the service letter does not apply to your serial number. Your aircraft likely had whatever was in the kit installed at the factory.
    Last edited by JPerkins; 01-13-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it probably does not apply, but I'm hoping someone on here actually knew what was in that piper kit that the service letter referenced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your serial number is not effected. This service letter effects the early Pacers that did not have a fuel line in the rear of the right fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Your serial number is not effected. This service letter effects the early Pacers that did not have a fuel line in the rear of the right fuel tank.
    Skyways magazine June 1950. There is a paragraph about the level flight only and a illustration of the fuel system without the rear line and gascolator.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-14-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Drawing 12708 shows the complete fuel system, could find a drawing of the original. I guess Piper figured out there would be issues and decided to go down and around the right door opening rather than risk someone trying to take off on the right tank.

Post Thanks / Like

AD 67-24-02 only applies to PA-22 aircraft, not PA-20. The SL only applies to early PA-20 serial numbers, so it is likely that your aircraft had the SL components installed at the factory. The big question, and I haven't looked at enough Pacers to know, did that SL put the gascolator under the seat like the PA-22? Since the TCDS says if the SL was complied with, and given the serial effectivity one would guess that it was, then the placard in the TCDS is not required. Since AD 67-24-02 only applies to PA-22, then that placard is not required.

All that said, run the right tank down below a 1/4, and at altitude try flying with full power in an extremely high nose up attitude like just above stall, and see if the fuel flow is interrupted. Stay in this attitude for several minutes to be sure the lines have a chance to clear. If there is no power interruption, then you are good to go with no placard. If the fuel flow causes a power interruption, then keep the placard, and perhaps notify FAA that they may want to revisit AD 67-24-02 and include PA-20 aircraft with SL 145 incorporated. I know I did a banner pick up with my PA-22 on the right tank with less than 1/3, and boy was I surprised when the engine quit right at the top of the pull up! Don't try this down low!

As Steve pointed out, drawing 12708 covers the PA-20 system. Drawing 14465 covers the PA-22 system, and they are pretty much the same. I suspect FAA doesn't know the systems are the same.
    Last edited by dgapilot; 01-14-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Thats exactly the depth I was
    Looking for.

I’m in the middle of a panel and interior upgrade and I’ve been researching all of the required placards to make sure I get everything back where it should be.

This airplane does have the gascolator under the right seat.

Since it is the same system as the -22, I agree that the 1/3 fuel tank qty placard would be a wise decision.

Even though it has the pickup in the back of the right tank I wonder how the fuel pressure is when it’s less then 1/3 since it routes down under the seat and back up again.

I’ll need to drain the tanks for the new fuel indicator anyway so it’ll be a good excuse test the theory and report back. I have a feeling it’s going to start coughing like your banner towing excursion.

Thanks for posting that article, although I don’t agree with the tire pressure on the mains. Over 20 and my landings aren’t very soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk