Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

Hi,

......"Even though it has the pickup in the back of the right tank I wonder how the fuel pressure is when it’s less then 1/3 since it routes down under the seat and back up again."

It's also important which wing you raise, or lower, when slipping it in. Slipping into a wind might not always jive well with running on the fuller tank either. I've had the engine quit while flying level but slipping hard for a camera guy in the back seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Service letter 145, “Use right tank level flight only” placard

Humm, not all Pa-22’s have the gascolator under the seat. Mine is on the port side bottom of the firewall. I still am required to have the “Level flight only on right tank at 1/3 full or less.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

The right tank rear fuel line runs down behond the door, under it, then up to tee into the front line and goes across the dash to the fuel selector.
    That's why there's an issue that arises under 1/3 in odd attitudes. The gascolator under the right seat is there because of the low point created by loooping that rear line under the door.
    The Trimmer STC runs the lines under the seats to the fuel selector, which gets rid of the low tank/odd attitude issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    Humm, not all Pa-22’s have the gascolator under the seat. Mine is on the port side bottom of the firewall. I still am required to have the “Level flight only on right tank at 1/3 full or less.

-Alana
    Look inside of the right main landing gear for a sump drain. There should technically be two gascolators. The one on the firewall and the one just inboard of the right main gear leg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Look inside of the right main landing gear for a sump drain. There should technically be two gascolators. The one on the firewall and the one just inboard of the right main gear leg.

Thank you. I found it and took a sample from it today. It was clear, but the first sample from the right tank showed a tiny bit of water, and OMG the left tank had to pull a couple samples to not get any water.... But that said, I didn’t get off the ground today because of a cataract of fuel from the carburetor.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree with sioux* on the tire pressure lol but if you need placards I got my custom made for my piper pa 28 236 at screamingaero.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Piper-Dan View Post
    I definitely agree with sioux* on the tire pressure lol but if you need placards I got my custom made for my piper pa 28 236 at screamingaero.com
    I used aerographics and then clear coated over top of them to seal them in. It worked out well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Alana, just a point about that gascolator that peeks out from below the right landing gear leg.
    It is the low point in the system and is only for preflight, draining water that might settle between flights.
    It does NOT have a screen in it, and does NOT need to be checked for debris at annual, if your IA should ask about it.
    It's not easy to disassemble, and there is nothing to find inside since fuel will eventually flow from it to the REAL gascolator on the firewall, which DOES have a screen which MUST be inspected every annual.
    And if it has not been checked in a decade or four, it will need a new bowl gasket if it is opened, or it will surely leak. And even then it might leak anyway.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Glen for pointing that out. I had local Tri Pacer guru Rick Locke perform my annual last July... I’m sure he knew not to touch it. I am going to replace all my sump valves next annual, none seem to seal after taking a sample.

-Alana