Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Wing Rotator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanted - Wing Rotator

Just throwing this out there, Looking for a wing rotator to buy or borrow in the mid-Atlantic area. Don't "need" it but would make life easier. If you have one that is not being used, PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wanted - Wing Rotator

I created mine by making attachments to my engine stand for the inboard end of the wing. The stand bolted to the wing attachment holes. For the out board I made a small wooden stand on swivel wheels.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I created mine by making attachments to my engine stand for the inboard end of the wing. The stand bolted to the wing attachment holes. For the out board I made a small wooden stand on swivel wheels.
    Yeah, I’ve been thinking of doing something like that. Just figured if someone close had one sitting in the corner and wanted to get rid of it, or loan/rent it, it would be easier. As it is, I’m not really planning on doing more than this set of wings, but who knows what the future will bring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My modification took an afternoon. It was not a work of art as I have no plans at this time to do another wing. But, a rotator does make the project much easier, especially, if you are working by yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

The Short Wing Piper Club library had one to loan. It knocks down for shipping. See picture. I had a local steel fabricator roll two hoops like that. Mine is one piece. I use the fuselage rotator on the wing root attach fitting like Stephen. Steve made one that attaches the at the wing tip brackets as Piper did it. It easier to use his as the hoop does not get in the way when spraying.
    https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/t...-rotator-tool/

7DCBAA9A-5A27-4AFB-9C99-93C5D1C221C1.jpegI believe it knocks down fo shipping.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-14-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering why the wing cover drawing shows grommets out at the tip over the brackets. I suspected it was for a system to hold it while doing the cover work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my cheaply made wing rotator, the engine mount side is in the shadows.

SP May 001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking of building something similar. The HF engine stands are cheap enough, just weld an extension on it, and make a cross bar for the root and another for the tip. I’ve got one already, and with the coupon there only about $30 as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to bolt on a bracket without welding. It worked great and I still have an engine stand.....which I hope not to use again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm done with my rotator and it's up for grabs. 10hrs one way drive might be a little much though.