Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted - Wing Rotator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wanted - Wing Rotator

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
    I'm done with my rotator and it's up for grabs. 10hrs one way drive might be a little much though.
    Yeah, that wouldn’t be profitable. Can it break down to ship it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's all welded together. Probably to costly to ship as well, its a little heavy. Feel free to pick it up next time you're ice fishing in Ottawa.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a picture of how I adapted an engine stand for my wing rotator.

BM april 001.jpg
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, what tips are you using(I know, not rotator related), it looks like whatever version tip your aileron has been moved outboard?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Here is my cheaply made wing rotator, the engine mount side is in the shadows.

Attachment 16280

Post Thanks / Like

I now have Sullivan tips, previously I had Demmer tips. This picture is when I was converting my plane to the Bushmaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I actually used two engine stands, 2"x2" hardwood between the wing attachments on the inboard, bolted to the arms on the engine stand. On the outboard, I used a Vise grip with the adjusting bolt removed and replaced with a longer bolt thru one of the arms on the other engine stand. Wrapped some felt around the end of the wing and clamped on. Used that set up for the complete recovering, stitching, and painting. After the Vise grip removed, put a 3" round patch over the small holes, in the fabric on the wing tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Modra View Post
    I actually used two engine stands, 2"x2" hardwood between the wing attachments on the inboard, bolted to the arms on the engine stand. On the outboard, I used a Vise grip with the adjusting bolt removed and replaced with a longer bolt thru one of the arms on the other engine stand. Wrapped some felt around the end of the wing and clamped on. Used that set up for the complete recovering, stitching, and painting. After the Vise grip removed, put a 3" round patch over the small holes, in the fabric on the wing tip.
    I think that’s what I’m going to do. I’ve already got one stand, I’ll pick up another. They are cheap enough at HF. I’ll weld in an extension to them to get the pivot up high enough so the wing can swing all the way around. I’ll also wed up a bracket to pick up the tip fittings with a couple pieces of all thread and nuts top and bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I think that’s what I’m going to do. I’ve already got one stand, I’ll pick up another. They are cheap enough at HF. I’ll weld in an extension to them to get the pivot up high enough so the wing can swing all the way around. I’ll also wed up a bracket to pick up the tip fittings with a couple pieces of all thread and nuts top and bottom.

Your plan sounds good and engine stands are cheap. I didn't find a need to completely rotate the wing 360 degrees. Mine rotated more than 180 degrees. I only needed it to be top and bottom up and vertical. That worked for fabric application and painting.