Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Least expensive path to an IFR-Legal Tri-Pacer Panel in 2020?

I'd personally love to outfit RaggedyAnn with a GNX375 (LPV GPS + ADS-B out) and a single Garmin com radio with stdby freq monitoring. G5s for AI and DG+course, then go electric for TC. This accomplishes the following: simple, light, no vacuum, less drag (reduce qty of 9in venturis on the boot cowl by two) and associated cruise speed increase, AI backup incase of 1 G5 failure. In the case that scenario ever decides to go TU, the handheld com radio and a declared emergency gets you home with a vor approach. Before the rocks start being lobbed my way, I fully realize that this is probably a 16K solution to a now 25k airplane and that's probably if the handheld is included in the sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Least expensive path to an IFR-Legal Tri-Pacer Panel in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
    I fully realize that this is probably a 16K solution to a now 25k airplane.
    Totally worth it IMO. Good money on a good plane. I bought my plane for $16k in '16. Have $55k in it now. Money well spent. Spend it if you plan to fly the crap out of it and enjoy it.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Garmin GNC 355 with 106B kit to install in a C-150. Not a bad price for a new com and waas gps combo. I bought It thinking stand alone because the regs said I could but the stc install instructions say it needs a backup for navigation. Any legal experts know the correct answer?
    Last edited by Jeff J; 07-10-2020 at 07:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like there is a time limit to edit or delete posts. Anyway, I found the answer to my question in the flight manual supplement. It is a stand alone IFR option if connected to a CDI in small piston engine singles (under 6,000 pounds). The FMS is 49 pages I will have to print and keep in the airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that the GNC355 is priced about the same as a used 430W. I may have to rethink my installation plans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Purchased a GNC300XL for mine and installed during restoration.
    Purchased in 2016 from individual on Ebay for $2800, bench ran it and worked fine.
    Between original couple test and rigging test flights and couple hours on first leg home
    was working great. Right after departure form CIC in northern California, went completely
    off line.

Made some calls and several did not think Garmin still serviced that unit. Another
    friend who was a dealer called and got me a slot to get it fixed. Flat rate cost was $750
    and they even took care of the screen that showed some fuzzyness due to finger prints.
    That was 2017 and I would guess it is not on their list for repair services. Haven't put it
    back in knowing if it acts up again it goes in the trash bin.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

The GNC 300 is no longer supported by Garmin. You can check on repair support for Garmin products, including the flat-rate repair costs here: https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/su...ut-of-warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Default IFR in a PA-22

Have you guys seen this video?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoAZI7yR0M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "IFR-ing" a PA-22-150

I added your thread to the one on making a PA22 IFR, figured it would be good to have it all together.