Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Least expensive path to an IFR-Legal Tri-Pacer Panel in 2020?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Least expensive path to an IFR-Legal Tri-Pacer Panel in 2020?

People are still buying Garmin 430 otherwise they wouldn’t be selling for $5K for non-ifr and $6500 for ifr. Garmin released the 175 and 355 to compete with that market. Garmin is even allowing any certified person or entity to do the installs instead of dealer only.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my 430W. it is a very reliable and capable unit. I have WAAS GPS, ILS, LOC and VOR navigation plus a good COM radio in one box. If the government messes with the GPS signal I push one button and I can navigate via VOR and/or ask for vectors to the nearest ILS. I did pay $6,500 for a used 430W, but two years ago any new GARMIN GPS/COM with the same capabilities was well over $10K to $12K.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I have been weighing options for making an IFR trainer to get my ticket in. My best option at the moment is a Cessna 150 project I have but, with a useful load of 500 pounds and me at 200 pounds, the idea is losing it’s appeal. There doesn’t seem to be any cheap options for making an airplane legally capable of doing 3 different approaches.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    people [pilots] stay with and purchase 430W and 530 units because they are familiar with them. They know what they do and they don't have
    a learning curve. That is why people pay a premium price for them. Garmin had to force them out of the market by withdrawing surpport -
    otherwise pilots would still be buying them. It is amazing that the brand/model loyalty is so strong. I think Garmin made a mistake not to
    continue support but I understand their business decision to phase out and withdraw support of a 20+year product in order to force their
    client to upgrade to their new product. Of course, they run the risk of their client choosing a competitor's product when forced to leave
    an old favorite.
    I bought a $1200 Bendix-King Aviator Ace a number of years ago. I bought it specifically because it would interface with my EI FP5L giving me “fuel to destination” and would also provide weather and satellite maps from my XM satellite weather receiver. It did neither reliably. I worked with a very dedicated product support person who was able to confirm the problems I was having. He said he needed software engineering support to solve the problem but was having problems with upper management getting it. I met with him at SnF and he suggested we meet the head of the Consumer Product Division who would be at AirVenture. I met with this guy, he was apologetic and promised the necessary support to solve the problem. The week after AirVenture he announced they were discontinuing the ACE and its support. I got a call from ACE support guy immediately telling me the guy we met with at AV knew he was dropping the ACE when we talked to him.
    The support guy asked me if I want his Avaitor Ace stuff as wouldn’t be supporting it. I told he could keep it, it doesn’t work.

BendixKing in my opinion is nonexistent. I wouldn’t buy a thing from them. They dumped the ACE after only a couple of years. Beware!
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-20-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I called to find out in December. The tower said they did not know. Recommended that I wait until after January 1, 2020 and then try to file IFR with the new international flight plan. I did that and the flight plan was accepted with no ADS-b equipment. Keep in mind you cannot fly above 10,000 mls and all the other rules. If anybody knows any rules requiring anything different, please let us know. No time to actually fly the plan yet.